2007 1500 LS no tire pressure sensors

rob1259

Question

Ok I got a question I cant find anything about. I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 Ls it had the factory steel wheels. They did not have tire pressure sensors in them, with that said the light was never on. I sold those and put factory gm 20s on it they have sensors but the light still never came on and I never set the sensors to the truck. I assumed it just didnt have the system in it. Well the other day my battery went dead, it was dead for about an hour when I got it charged and started my truck the tire light was on with a warning message. it seems like the system was disabled with from the factory and when it was without power for that long it reset it self and came online. Since this was never enabled to begin with why do i need it now?

11 answers to this question

Found out that TPMS became mandatory in 2007,but not mandatory until the 2008 model year. That makes it easier for me to figure that pre 08 vehicles did not have TPMS as standard equipment.

Found this online...

"The U.S. government, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, requires that all passenger cars, light trucks and vans (Gross weight less than 10,000 pounds) be equipped with a TPMS starting in model year 2008. Due to a phase-in of the requirements, 20 percent of model year 2006 and 70 percent of model year 2007 vehicles are equipped with TPMS"

I think that GM most likely used one system in 2007 to reduce costs. If you got the optional TPMS in 2007, it came with all the wiring, and fully integrated into the dash wiring, I think you may find out that it will not tell you if it cannot see the signal from wheel. Try taking one wheel off the truck, Then take that wheel a couple hundred yards away. Leave the wheel there, go back to truck and start the truck up. If you put your spare on, you can drive it around and see what error messages you get. If it working like post 08 trucks, you should see a message saying signal missing or something along that line.

When I had the G5 GT my winter wheels/tires did not have the sensors. I had to pull my car right up to the garage door, and keep the summer wheels almost touching garage door on inside to keep the light off. When I got the truck, I made sure all wheels and tires have sensors. Got one of those $50 programmer stick to set TPMS up. Takes longer to find the tool than it takes to set all 4 wheels. Best Ebay tool I have ever bought.

I would imagine the next generation of pressure sensors will be more intelligent and not require any tools or special procedures when you swap out summer wheels/tires. The simplest way would be to use 4 readers on the truck, one near each tire, and a low output pressure sensor in each wheel that is not strong enough output to reach past the sensor. Or maybe use a directional reader.

When I put my winter wheels on, I get a warning message (they have the sensors, but programming them twice a year is a royal pain in the ass) "service tire pressure monitoring system", and the dash light will stay on.

I keep my summer wheels in the house, and if I idle the truck out front, the system will pick up the signal through the house, and the light will go out.

Well this kinda on topic. I have an 05 ls 4x4 and sometimes when I hit a bump the abs light comes on. I have checked wires to the abs sensors on both front wheels and the look fine. It has a 5 inch sus lift and 33 in tires on 17 in steelies. Could it just be a bad sensor? If so I do I find out if its driver or pass side?

In 2007 they were not mandatory, so, if fleet did not want it, they didn't select it when ordered. 2008 is different, they are required by federal law.

Gotcha.

Somehow I misread the original post and missed the part about it coming on and staying on. Possibly using the ABS sensors then, as you pointed out already. The one vehicle I was around that had this and the alert activated, there was a procedure in the manual to get it to 'relearn'.

Don't really "need" it, IMO. If you check your pressures regularly, it's useless. When I get a low tire, the crappy handling of the truck is all the warning I need.

I think there's some federal mandate now that all vehicles MUST have the system, though ... because the gov't can't trust the people to live their own independent lives, apparently. :rolleyes: 'Tis the season .... :sick:

Are you sure it is actually active now? I think they used to use ABS speed sensors to detect low pressure by the difference in tire speed due to diameter changing. A low tire will turn at a higher speed than a properly inflated tire.

I would imagine that once tire pressure monitors became mandatory, that is when they removed the ability to disable them.

The TPMS became mandatory on the 2007 model year. Not sure if the 2007 Classic was considered an 06. From the sounds of it, your truck is considered a 2006.

Archived