Can not change antifreeze

I have a 2007 Van w/ 6.0L engine. Wanted to change the antifreeze as the OE fluid is now 7 years old. Guess what, GM in its infinite wisdom decided to make it impossible for an owner to do this maintenance (normal for the past 8 decades).
There is no radiator drain plug
The radiator hoses have the clamps a permanent part of the hoses making removal, short of cutting off, impossible.
There is no owner removable clamp on the lower radiator hose where it connects to the radiator.

My only option is to pay a dealer $130 to do a less than optimal job as they will not use distilled water so there will be an increased chance of corrosion of the aluminum engine parts and aluminum radiator.

You need to change the hoses anyway, imo

And yes, that should be the correct pic, Mike

Use a pick tool to roll the clip out. The new hose will have a new clip

• 1 year later...

That lower hose on these vans is almost impossible to get to. Take a look, you'll see what I mean. On my parents RV this weekend that is on an Express platform I removed the upper radiator hose's connection to the radiator, started the engine, and let the old antifreeze come out that upper hose as I put new coolant into the radiator. Just keep the radiator nearly full during the process, but not so full that the antifreeze you're putting in pours out of the now open upper radiator opening. With the 8.1 liter engine it has a capacity of like 22 quarts I think? So get 6 gallons of 50/50 premixed dex-cool and have at it. It worked out well.

I tried like crazy to get to that hose clamp with no avail.

Archived