5.3 Weak!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next question, I will probably get my gears done first. when that is done, will I need to reflash my ecm to

accommodate the 4:10 gears? I don't want to be throwing all kinds of codes and hard shifting. Guess what I'm

asking is can I get gears done, then wait a couple of weeks and get tune/headers ect. Will my truck be drivable

without an immediate tune?

Has your speedo been recalibrated for the 35s? Your speedo may already be off.

If you are looking for your 5.3 to have as mush power as a tundra with the 5.7, it wont. These are great motors ( I have many) but they are not the fastest things on four wheels, however, you would be hard pressed to find a more durable engine. That being said, the gears will make a world of difference, we did it to my buddy's truck. Headers will make negligible power gains as LS manifolds are kinda like a shorty header. The tune will wake the powertrain up, and correct speedo issues as well. You will like it when its done.

If you are looking for your 5.3 to have as mush power as a tundra with the 5.7, it wont. These are great motors ( I have many) but they are not the fastest things on four wheels, however, you would be hard pressed to find a more durable engine. That being said, the gears will make a world of difference, we did it to my buddy's truck. Headers will make negligible power gains as LS manifolds are kinda like a shorty header. The tune will wake the powertrain up, and correct speedo issues as well. You will like it when its done.

I appreciate it. I'm not trying to burn the tires out from under it or anything. Just trying to bring it back to it's original glory and maybe a little more. Ordered my gears today (4:10). I get released from my offshore prison Tuesday so maybe I can get them installed while I'm home. then I'll be contacting Black Bear for the tune. By the way, the speedo is off according to my navigation unit.

I don't mean to doubt you, but just because this is the internet and we have no idea who is on the other side of the screen I want to make sure. You did order two sets of gears, correct? Front and rear?

i personally am looking into the arh headers....from what fellow members here say are the bomb!!! you can email justin at blackbear and get his two cents worth too. i am sure he has seen it all. how about a cam???

i personally am looking into the arh headers....from what fellow members here say are the bomb!!! you can email justin at blackbear and get his two cents worth too. i am sure he has seen it all. how about a cam???

thought about the cam but not sure I'm ready to dive into that yet. How do you like your Borla exhaust? Leaning towards them for mine

love the exhaust...had a slight hiccup with the install and how it lined up. saying that they sent a new tail piece right away (great customer service). i think it tidies up the look from the back. there is no/minimal drone, and as i said i do love the sound. you would have more options than mine, because for 2010 they only offered one system, which is a blend of a touring and sport!

love the exhaust...had a slight hiccup with the install and how it lined up. saying that they sent a new tail piece right away (great customer service). i think it tidies up the look from the back. there is no/minimal drone, and as i said i do love the sound. you would have more options than mine, because for 2010 they only offered one system, which is a blend of a touring and sport!

thanks. I know they make a great product. I'll have to try to find some sound bites for the different ones they offer me. Like it to be solid if I'm in the pedal but hate the drone if I'm on the highway

ha, that's getting way out in left field. I'm not trying to build anything drastic, just trying to get back to stock feel with the engine and get rid of the lag. Besides, I would have to take out a second mortgage to afford that!

4.10's would be perfect

My old 2009 Silverado had a 4.8 Airaid Tube and 4.10 gears on 33" tires with tune.

Drove awesome and had plenty of power

I have 112,000 mile on my current 2009 Sierra w/5.3 with 33" tires and know exactly what you mean.
Get yourself a

Tune

Gears

Airaid tube

Long tubes

and you will be very happy

Just got my quote. Both axles for 800.00. Know the guy and I think he's giving me a pretty good deal. Hope I can have this done in the next couple of weeks. I work a crazy schedule and I got to get it planned out. So I'll be in the gear swap for about 1250.00. don't think I can beat that.

Archived