Mid Travel Suspension Install

I was wondering if I could get advise on what it would typically cost to install the following suspension upgrade on a 2014 Silverado. Here is what I have...

Fox 2.5 Coilovers for the front

Cognito UCAs with ball joints

3" differential drop kit

Fox 2.0 shocks for the rear

2" rear block

Quote also includes allignment

I'm hoping to have the dealership install the above items to have to highest odds of protecting my warranty but am worried that their quote may be a lot higher than other independent shops.

Thanks

Edit: Maybe a better way to look at this would be to ask... How may labor hours do you think this install would take?

Thanks, my control arms are steel so I had a good selection to choose from.

I know I could easily do the work myself but was hoping I could get the dealership to do it for a reasonable rate to improve my odds of them sticking by the gm warranty if anything went wrong. I know gm will probably do what ever it takes to get out of the warranty but having a dealer fight for you helps a little, (I hope)

Also, thinking if for example one of the Fox Coilovers broke, the dealers certified mechanic would work with fox the get the problem fixed instead of me (backyard mechanic) trying to convince Fox I installed the product correctly and getting them to warranty there product. But I guess they would have to prove I installed them wrong, but it's still me who would be going round and round with them.

I guess that really depends on the dealership. I didn't buy my truck from the dealership I take it to and they've been great to me. I think you are mostly trying to safeguard yourself against the worst case scenario. Pretty hard to install a coil over wrong other than not torquing bolts to spec.

The plus side of having the dealer do it is that if something was to go wrong you would most likely get a loaner.

I kinda doubt the dealer will stand behind any labor themselves. In my experience if they don't usually install a lot of aftermarket stuff, they won't want to touch it. I think you'd be better off going through a good off road shop if your near one. Plus their going to know more than the dealer bout setting ride height correctly. The dealers probably gunna want to charge time in.

Good Points!

The dealer has a performance shop separate from the dealership that does a lot of lifts and performance mods which was one of the reasons I bought the truck from this particular dealership but your correct I think a dedicated offroad suspension shop would do a lot better job at setting things up correctly. Only problem is there isn't a suspension shop anywhere near where I live that I know of.

I guess I really don't have that much of a problem having the dealership do the work, I can always take it to a dedicated off road shop when I'm traveling to have ride hieght adjusted if needed. The big problem is what the dealership is quoting me to have the work done, seems really high but what do I know.

I had a reputable shop quote me $700 for installing my King shocks (all 4), UCAs, front and rear swaybars, & alignment.

Add your lift kit and rear blocks....I'd estimate $1200.

Thanks Spurshot, that helps a lot, the quote you received is really close to what I received from the dealership and the differences probably come down to labor rates. Total labor hours where quoted at 12.6 (Probably right out of the gm labor guide book, IDK) and the breakdown is as follows....,

Front coilovers 3.4 hours

Rear shocks and add lift blocks 2.0 hours

Front diff removal (adding spacers) and reinstall 3.6 hours

Upper control arms removal and reinstall 3.6 hours

Front end alignment $64.95

I think I probably just had sticker shock when I saw how many hours of labor the work required. I was guessing I could do the work my self in around 8 hrs but I was probably underestimating the job (wouldn't be the first time :). Looking at their quote it does appear some of the work is overlapping? Example: when replacing the UCAs it seems you are also doing at least half the job of replacing the coilovers. Also the labor hrs for the differential drop is for completely replacing the differential where as my understanding was all you need to do is loosen the bolts, drop the differential down and insert the spacers and then install the new bolts. I've never done a diff drop but I was thinking I could do it in an hour but once again I may be underestimating the job.

I wonder if anybody has ever successfully negotiated a better deal on labor hours with a gm dealership?

Archived