Throttle Position Sensor

First time posting...anywhere. I have a problem. Yesterday, about two miles from home, my 2008 Silverado Z71 4x4 started acting very sluggish, and the Service traction, Stabilitrak messages popped up on my dash,and the engine started fluttering. I hobbled back home and googled my truck's symptoms. I found that the throttle body and/or throttle position sensor going out is a common problem with these trucks. This morning I replaced the throttle position sensor, and all the stabilitrak messages are gone, but when I took it for a test drive, I discovered that after I let off on the accelerator, at any speed, I hear a popping sound under the hood and the engine flutters. It slowly goes away, but when I press and release the gas pedal, it does it again. I'm afraid I might be damaging something if I continue driving it this way. Does anyone know what might be causing this popping and fluttering sound, and how can I fix it?

Me again. Just took the truck out for another test drive, and now all the original messages are back. "Service Traction Control" and "Service Stabilitrak" so it looks like the throttle position sensor was not the issue. Now I'm back at square one...don't know how to fix issue.

Could be any number of things. GM did a Technical Service Bulletin and sent letters to the original owners of GMT900 trucks about 3 years ago in regards to bad Throttle Position Sensors and free replacement of such under an extended warranty program. You need to have your truck scanned at a dealer or auto parts place to see if it was the TPS. Even if you replace the TPS, you then have to hook up a genuine GM scan tool to re-calibrate the opening of the throttle since the throttle on these trucks is electronic and not run by an actual wire cable.

Archived