leveling a 2WD

I searched on this board and didnt' find anything regarding a 2WD.  Is there a way to level out the front on a 2WD since we dont have the tbars?  

I will be putting on a body lift in the next few weeks , and wanted to fix the GMC slope at that time.

Thanks for any help!!

:flag:

If you put a set of Fabtech 3" spindles on your truck will just about level out.  I started out with the spindles, here is a picture of what it looked like (it is parked on a driveway so a little hard to tell about the leveling)

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL217/103154...56/23009808.jpg

I then added the Fabtech control arms and coil springs to lift it another 3" with 4" blocks in the rear.  It now sits level and just the height I like (with 285s).  If you could afford it, I would recommend a suspension lift rather than a body lift.  Your truck will maintain more of a stock drive with a suspension lift (just my 2 cents)

good luck :flag:

Thought of this last night,

On my last vehicle(explorer) there was only a few things we could due to lift the year that I had.  One of those ways was to remove the coil springs, and replace them with F150 springs, and they gave us about a 2-2 1/2 " lift.

Would it be possible to just switch out the front springs and replace them with either a 2500 or 3500 spring?

Anyone ever tried/though about that with the 2wd?

ElkHunter -- That's a great question -- I'd like to know the answer, too.  I just replaced my factory springs (2000 Yukon 2wd) with ones made by Bilstein that were supposed to lift the back end back up to stock (after I put Bilstein shocks on, it lowered my back end to level with the front or even a bit lower)... took me about 3 hours with lots of breaks -- not too hard to do.  However, the springs didn't do what they were supposed to.  In fact, the back may be 1/4" lower now.  Bilstein said the springs they sold me were copies of the Z71 springs and should have worked, but they didn't.  They are looking in to sending me Yukon XL / Suburban springs, but I don't know if they'll be any different.  If the 2500 springs will fit and give me some lift, I'll go with those, then crank up the torsion bars in front to get more height there.  

Otherwise, if none of this works, I'll probably go with 1 3/4" coil spring spacers from Daystar.  

Can anyone help to answer ElkHunter's question?

Also, would Yuk XL/Burb springs fit on my Yukon and would they make the back end sit higher (i.e., are they taller?)

I was looking on the net, and at local truck shop in town, and they dont make a daystar spacer for the 99 up trucks.  

If the spring  does not work, has anyone ever used those   Mr. Gasket- Universal Coil Spring Control Kits , or there spacer block that goes on the spring itself?  They claim to give up to 2 1/2 " of lift?

99-03 Sierra/Silverado 2500 (new body LD) 2wd use Coils

99-03 Sierra/Silverado 2500 (new body LD) 4wd use torsion

01-03 1500HD uses same components as the 2500LD 2wd Coils, 4wd torsion

01-03 2500HD and 3500 2wd and 4wd use torsion

The 2wd 2500s are not all that common. The extended cabs are only available in 4wd in 02 and 03. The Standard cab is only available in 2wd in 02 and 03.  I’m not sure about 01.

The easiest as far as labor is concerned is the 3 inch spindle lift and rear blocks.

Place a jack under the control arm, remove tire, unbolt spindle, install new one. The brake mount on one side only needs a little grinding. That is it the front is done  :thumb:

You can replace front shocks but it is not required.

Rear lift blocks are pretty much self explanitary.

Did my truck by myself with common hand tools in 5 hours total including 30 minutes for stopping the bleeding after I dropped the old spindle on my finger  :cool: , thats what I get for not paying attention.

Just get the right size sockets and DO NOT use a hammer on the threaded end of the ball joints as they deform. Hitting the side of the spindle after the nuts are loose will break them free.

I've also done a lift for a friend that had replacement coils, MUCH harder and you better have the right spring compressor or its a no go.

If all you want is a little more clearence and leveling the truck go with the 3 inch spindle lift set up. I do have pictures on my web sight, just click over. I'm not posting it right here as they are pretty big pictures. Just click on the pictures to get the BIG versions.

99-03 Sierra/Silverado 2500 (new body LD) 2wd use Coils

99-03 Sierra/Silverado 2500 (new body LD) 4wd use torsion

01-03 1500HD uses same components as the 2500LD 2wd Coils, 4wd torsion

01-03 2500HD and 3500 2wd and 4wd use torsion

The 2wd 2500s are not all that common. The extended cabs are only available in 4wd in 02 and 03. The Standard cab is only available in 2wd in 02 and 03.  I’m not sure about 01.

I'm not saying your wrong by any means, but I'm almost positive I've seen 2wd 2500's with torsion bars instead of coils.  ???

Archived