Rattle sound coming from steering column

I've recently discovered a rattle sound coming from my steering column. After lots of hunting I've nailed it down to the shift lock solenoid that's connected to the shift lever. I can wiggle it with my hand it makes a rattling noise. It seems to be a poor design, its a metal rod that slides through a piece of plastic. My guess is that over time they don't fit together as tightly and the entire thing rattles.

Has anyone came across this? All new trucks I've been in don't do this, so I'm wondering if just replacing this part will solve it, or if the new one is just going to end up doing the same thing.

This is the part I'm referring to.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE1SUG/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

21CQamW8zfL.jpg

When do you get this sound? I get it after turning truck off and removing key until it locks,

I get it with almost every bump I hit. I'm going to put a piece of uhmw tape over the metal rod piece to see if it reduces the rattle noise. Edited by projectsummit

Yes, but you'll notice that they all make a noise if you wiggle them. Even the ones still sitting on the lot. I put a zip tie around it and a nearby mount. Didn't make a difference. If you hear a rattling its something else. My 2015 doesnt make any noises while driving, but the mechanism will make a rattle type noise if I shake it.

It's definitely coming from the solenoid mechanism in my truck. I've tried zip tying mine as well. While it holds it tighter it still moves a bit because you can only zip tie one side of it. I'm hoping that using uhmw tape on the metal shaft will reduce the rattle and make it fill the hole in the plasic part better. Similar to this video.

I also had a rattle coming from the lower steering column area. I found that the bracket that holds the OBD2 port was causing the noise. It's a pretty flimsy design, and it makes a really "tinny" rattling sound over minor bumps.

Pretty much every bolt and screw was loose on my truck behind the plastic panel under the steering wheel, I tightened them all up and I still had the rattle that's when I discovered it was attached to the shifter.

I also had a rattle coming from the lower steering column area. I found that the bracket that holds the OBD2 port was causing the noise. It's a pretty flimsy design, and it makes a really "tinny" rattling sound over minor bumps.

Thank you for this. Mine just developed a very annoying rattle on pretty much any road and I hadn't been able to track it down until I read this post. If I hold the OBD2 port with my hand while driving no rattle. Let go, rattle comes back. Now to get out the tools and get it secured again.

Thank you for this. Mine just developed a very annoying rattle on pretty much any road and I hadn't been able to track it down until I read this post. If I hold the OBD2 port with my hand while driving no rattle. Let go, rattle comes back. Now to get out the tools and get it secured again.

No problem. It didn't sound like it was coming from there at first, so it took me a while to narrow it down. I hadn't seen any other posts describing this as the source either, so I'm glad I was able to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for posting this in all he rattle threads, trying to help. My steering column rattle seems to be coming from the hood release lever. Try tapping it and you will hear the rattle. When driving you can apply pressure to it and it stops - at least in my case. Looking for a permanent solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've discovered that mine isn't coming from the solenoid, after doing what I had done to stop it from moving I still have a metal rattle noise which sounds like its coming from the steering column, almost sounds like it could be the ignition moving around. or something within the steering column itself. It's driving me nuts, make my truck sound like a rattle can going over bumps.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured it out! I can sleep again! I've honestly spent at least 20 hours tearing things apart and putting them back together to figure this out.

I was pulling down on my steering wheel and I heard the metal clank rattle noise. Which got me on the right path. I laid under the dash and listened while pulling down on the steering wheel. I discovered that there are two 13 mm bolts that were loosened right off where the dash meets the console. Tightened them up and my truck feels and sounds solid again.

gallery_140298_3337_4068118.png

Edited by projectsummit
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 8:35 AM, Newell33 said:

This same thing is happening with my OBD2 port. I did a search on here and this thread popped up. I know its been 3 years, but how did you fix this? Is it just some lose bolts? Ive tried looking under there but I'm a big guy and it was hard to see anything.

9 hours ago, Tx_operator87 said:

This same thing is happening with my OBD2 port. I did a search on here and this thread popped up. I know its been 3 years, but how did you fix this? Is it just some lose bolts? Ive tried looking under there but I'm a big guy and it was hard to see anything.

It's been a while since I've looked under the dash, and I got rid of that truck and went back to a 2500HD as soon as I could.  From what I remember there wasn't a bolt that could be tightened.  I believe the cause was simply a flimsy riveted bracket.  I think I temporarily wedged a small piece of fabric in between the two parts that were rattling as that's all I had in front of me at the time.  It wasn't the best fix, but I think it worked and I soon forgot about it.  

Sorry I could be more help!

Edited by Newell33