2015 Silverado Auto Climate System and AC On/Off

So I managed to play around with the system a bit today I was curious if the AC actually shut off when in auto mode (The light is always on when in auto). Here are my findings:

-It seems like it will turn off under certain conditions but for the most part its 95% of the time on.

-It Seemed like between 75-80ish it would turn off, anything above 80+ it would kick it back on and push it to the defroster. Seems like if the auto system is pushing out of the front vents you have a good chance it "might" be off.

-If you push the vent selector when its in auto mode it will keep the fan in auto mode until you turn the fan knob.

-The Circulate Air (cabin only) button doesn't turn the AC on at all if it wasn't already on in any mode.

-A/C OFF, Floor Only turns AC on (I'm convinced this is a software bug).

-A/C OFF, Floor and Defroster (Top vents) turns AC on.

-A/C OFF, Face/Front Only keeps AC off.

-A/C OFF, Face/Front and Floor keeps AC off.

The ones in bold above are the only guaranteed states the AC is off.

Mine stay in continues to blow cold AC air after I turn off the Auto mode until I turn off the recirculate from auto to off. I will bring this up to the dealer when I get the 4wd recall done.

Mine stay in continues to blow cold AC air after I turn off the Auto mode until I turn off the recirculate from auto to off. I will bring this up to the dealer when I get the 4wd recall done.

Good luck, I doubt they will be able to do anything with it. I feel like this was done by an Intern in a climate that never changes temperature when it was initially designed. Sadly we probably won't see a better system or fix until its completely redesigned.

There is a calibration update for HVAC with Remote Start that fixes this as well. The main reason for this update is to fix how the HVAC reacts with Remote Start conditions in early built 2014 models (instead of using the last setting, it now operates conditionally like the older and newer models do) and it also turns off now. This is PIT5240B for Remote Operation with HVAC.

I believe there is another update which closes the recirculate flap more as well which reduces the amount of flow from the floor vent when everything dips off. As I recall, it has something to do with pressurizing the cabin to reduce dust accumulation. Some complain that the recirculate mode does not shut off outside air / smells completely and this fixes that. Not sure if mine does this, but it does show dust quickly on the black dash and other parts.

Archived