3/4 ton duramax or 1/2 ton 6.2L for 7K - 10K lbs

Im no wheres close to buying a new rig, but I seem to go over this "what will be my next rig" thought once a week or so. Sooo many options. We make maybe 6 or so trips a year camping, give or take. Usually all within 5hrs drive. Trailer is heavy, but got er set up right and tows pretty well. You do feel it in the hills though, and if she's breezy out.

Trucks I've considered include

newer 5.3 1500 8 speed

6.2 1500 8 speed

*gasp* Ford 3.5 eco

GM 2500 diesel

I think going through the numbers, other then the 2500, the ford has the highest payload. But I've read some great things about the 6.2 8 speed too. For the amount of towing I do, I think I could get away with a 1500. I need to borrow a truck for a weekend and try each one LOL

Don't rule out the 2500HD gas motor! Hopefully when you are ready to buy, GM will have had a new HD gas motor out for some time, but even the 6.0 is still an excellent motor!

My previous truck was a 2008 Silverado CC 5.3/4 spd. And I felt like its towing capability was at its outer limit when pulling my 6,000 lb TT. But, I realize that both hp and torque has been significantly increased with the new Gen V 5.3. So, it may be adequate for your needs. About the F-150 3.5 Eco; I too have read that it makes max torque at a very low rpm. Guess I would have to actually tow something with it before becoming a believer. Doesn't add up to me that a turbo would achieve maximum hp and torque at the lower end of its power curve. But, I really don't know. I acknowledge that for sure. Just a side thought; was reading recently in Truck Trend about the new Nissan. They've got a new half ton truck out with a 5.0L diesel. Hp and torque numbers look impressive. Might be worth taking a look at. Well, good luck with buying your new truck :) !

If you feel your '08 was at it's limit due to power, just having the 6spd trans would have made it a night and day difference! And with your new truck having the 8spd, it is even better, always in the rpm range when towing.

Concerning the Nissan, they have failed big time with the new diesel model! It only has about the same payload as what Rosco currently has, around 1500lbs!!! Motor wise, would be plenty, but still limited by the available payload just like the majority of 1500/150's!!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rosco, here's the truck for you :)

MERCEDES TO ADD PICKUP BY YEAR'S END

MERCEDES PICKUP

Mercedes is getting into the pickup game, and from the latest reports, it looks like it'll come a lot sooner than expected. According to Auto Express, having spoken with Benz's van chief Volker Mornhinweg, the German automaker is slated to reveal its debut pickup truck - in concept form at least - before the end of this year. That means we might see it at the Paris Motor Show in October.

The project emerges as a result of Daimler's collaboration with the Renault-Nissan Alliance. The partnership has already lead to joint manufacturing operations in Mexico and the sharing of powertrain technologies. The pickup program is slated to grow from the NP300 Navara, a truck that Nissan makes for Europe and other markets. The Japanese automaker is expected to lend its expertise garnered from producing models like the Frontier and Titan as well.

Reports speculate that the model could be called the X-Class (following the model of the V-Class van), but we could easily see it labeled the GLX as well, depending on how Mercedes wants to position it. The bigger question on our mind is whether we'll see the Silver Star pickup on American roads.

If Mercedes follows the same formula it has with the Sprinter van, it could ship the pickup to the US partially assembled and complete the process Stateside so as to avoid the dreaded Chicken Tax. If it follows the lead of some of its own crossovers, it could build them from scratch in Alabama. It could alternatively have Nissan build the truck on its behalf in Mexico. Or it could, like the Volkswagen Amarok, stay the heck out of Dodge altogether. We'll have to wait to find out, but we have at least some reason to hold out hope.

Archived