3/4 ton duramax or 1/2 ton 6.2L for 7K - 10K lbs

Ok guys. Sorry about bringing this back to the for front but I have to ask a question. What was the model of cheverolet 2500 LTZ called that had the black bumpers, Grill and rear bumpers, that had the chrome grill insert? I think it was also available in white. And why the heck are they so hard to find? Did they just not make very many? Like this one.

a9f987c99b5546ec9672c87b5eee1420_zpscbwe

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's called a Z71 appearance package like I said... it's factory. Gives the painted bumprs, grill, sill plates say Z71 and a different back in the instrument cluster. It's got nothing to do with aftermarket upfitter packages.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Concerning the option; 1500 6.2L vs 2500 Duramax. I drive a 2015 Silverado LTZ CC 6.2L 4x4 and it tows my 25' 6,200 lb TT just fine. And, it will hold cruise while pulling some pretty steep grades. I'm very pleased with the 6.2/8 spd combo. However, I only tow maybe six to eight times per year. Wish I could do more but can't fit any more trips in. Anyway, the original poster stated that he tows about three weekends per month as I recall. I think if I were towing that often I would go with the 2500 Duramax. Reasons; probably would not require a load lever hitch which are a pain to hook up, especially nearly every weekend. Fuel milage is better with the diesel although gas is cheap at the moment. Probably should crank the numbers though. Most importantly to me, the diesel is just getting broke in at 150k miles whereas a gas burner is on the backside of life cycle. So, that's my two bits. Let us know what you decide to buy :)

Im no wheres close to buying a new rig, but I seem to go over this "what will be my next rig" thought once a week or so. Sooo many options. We make maybe 6 or so trips a year camping, give or take. Usually all within 5hrs drive. Trailer is heavy, but got er set up right and tows pretty well. You do feel it in the hills though, and if she's breezy out.

Trucks I've considered include

newer 5.3 1500 8 speed

6.2 1500 8 speed

*gasp* Ford 3.5 eco

GM 2500 diesel

I think going through the numbers, other then the 2500, the ford has the highest payload. But I've read some great things about the 6.2 8 speed too. For the amount of towing I do, I think I could get away with a 1500. I need to borrow a truck for a weekend and try each one LOL

Im no wheres close to buying a new rig, but I seem to go over this "what will be my next rig" thought once a week or so. Sooo many options. We make maybe 6 or so trips a year camping, give or take. Usually all within 5hrs drive. Trailer is heavy, but got er set up right and tows pretty well. You do feel it in the hills though, and if she's breezy out.

Trucks I've considered include

newer 5.3 1500 8 speed

6.2 1500 8 speed

*gasp* Ford 3.5 eco

GM 2500 diesel

I think going through the numbers, other then the 2500, the ford has the highest payload. But I've read some great things about the 6.2 8 speed too. For the amount of towing I do, I think I could get away with a 1500. I need to borrow a truck for a weekend and try each one LOL

You didn't state your trailer weight other than its heavy. towing capacity to a large degree is, including hp and torque, about the differental gear ratio. Example, the Ford 3.5 Eco has max towing capacity of 12,000lbs but does it with a 3.73 rear end. I've never towed with this setup but it's my guess that when pulling a grade with this kind of trailer weight those twin turbos would be on full boil while that little 3.5 is screaming like a scalded cat. Conversely, I rarely reach 3,500 rpm with my 6.2/8 spd Silverado. Personally, I would consider either the 2500 or 6.2. Or, the F-250 Power Stroke. Of course, it comes back to what your definition of "heavy" is :)

You didn't state your trailer weight other than its heavy. towing capacity to a large degree is, including hp and torque, about the differental gear ratio. Example, the Ford 3.5 Eco has max towing capacity of 12,000lbs but does it with a 3.73 rear end. I've never towed with this setup but it's my guess that when pulling a grade with this kind of trailer weight those twin turbos would be on full boil while that little 3.5 is screaming like a scalded cat. Conversely, I rarely reach 3,500 rpm with my 6.2/8 spd Silverado. Personally, I would consider either the 2500 or 6.2. Or, the F-250 Power Stroke. Of course, it comes back to what your definition of "heavy" is :)

It's around 7000lbs dry. Not crazy heavy, but with the limited payload, that's what gets me.

Also the ecoboost makes peak torque very low. No need to scream to get power :)

It's around 7000lbs dry. Not crazy heavy, but with the limited payload, that's what gets me.

My previous truck was a 2008 Silverado CC 5.3/4 spd. And I felt like its towing capability was at its outer limit when pulling my 6,000 lb TT. But, I realize that both hp and torque has been significantly increased with the new Gen V 5.3. So, it may be adequate for your needs. About the F-150 3.5 Eco; I too have read that it makes max torque at a very low rpm. Guess I would have to actually tow something with it before becoming a believer. Doesn't add up to me that a turbo would achieve maximum hp and torque at the lower end of its power curve. But, I really don't know. I acknowledge that for sure. Just a side thought; was reading recently in Truck Trend about the new Nissan. They've got a new half ton truck out with a 5.0L diesel. Hp and torque numbers look impressive. Might be worth taking a look at. Well, good luck with buying your new truck :) !

yeah, Like I said, I'm a few years off buying a new rig right now. And good chance I'll probably go new to me vs new lol. So we'll see whats what when the time comes. But always fun to talk about whats available now :)

edit...New nissan is ugly lol

The engine isn't screaming, but the turbos are--building lots of heat and guzzling gas.

Archived