V4 Drone sound?

I hate to stir the exhaust pot even more, but has anyone removed the third cat?

I didn't even know we had a third cat? I thought it was headers, cat, flapper, muffler, resonator, then out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there is 3 cats and I believe the 3rd is not monitored. My current set up is muffler swap to Magnaflow and pried open the flapper valve. I get minimal drone but I would like to get more sound from the exhaust. Debating wether to remove the 3rd cat or the resonator.

If you are looking for the sound of a Corsa at the price-point of the Flowmaster....look no further. Get the Volant. Full stainless. Can be had for just under $500 shipped. Volant is owned by Corsa and the mufflers are their design. I just installed it a couple weeks ago....PERFECT!!

If you are looking for the sound of a Corsa at the price-point of the Flowmaster....look no further. Get the Volant. Full stainless. Can be had for just under $500 shipped. Volant is owned by Corsa and the mufflers are their design. I just installed it a couple weeks ago....PERFECT!!

Let's hear it man post a quick vid!

Here is a thread that shows a diagram of the third cat in post#3...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/184510-exhaust-resonator/?hl=cat

To answer some other questions...yes, there have been others who have removed or gutted the third cat. It doesn't have any sensors, but is there to meet emissions regs in states that require it (CA). I know it will take some of your time, but there are a few (and one is very long) threads that explain a lot about the exhaust and what others have tried...you might want to read a little instead of asking the same questions that many others have. This area of the forum has been going for over 2 ½ years, so there's lots for you, especially if it pertains to 2014 or 2015 trucks...just trying to help. And no, there's not a video for every permientation you can think of...

Here's the other section where most of its...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/forum/168-gen-v-small-block-engine-drivetrain-exhaust/

Not my truck....here is a video from youtube that made up my mind.

That's the one you have tho? How does it sound at cruising or freeway speeds? Any v4 drone?

That's the one you have tho? How does it sound at cruising or freeway speeds? Any v4 drone?

Yes, this is the exhaust I just installed a couple weeks ago. It sounds fu**cking awesome while cruising and freeway! When you are on the freeway at any speed steady with the cruise on, you barely know its on. When you are accelerating or stomping on it, she's ANGRY! Of course, the 4cyl mode around town does not sound that great though. I love it!!!

Yes, this is the exhaust I just installed a couple weeks ago. It sounds fu**cking awesome while cruising and freeway! When you are on the freeway at any speed steady with the cruise on, you barely know its on. When you are accelerating or stomping on it, she's ANGRY! Of course, the 4cyl mode around town does not sound that great though. I love it!!!

Ah shoot I'm hoping to attend a meet up soon to hear someone else set up before I buy one. Im so scared of that v4 drone! hah

did you do anything with the valve or AFM

I ordered the Volant catback. It is a complete exhaust system. Therefor it completely replaces the factory exhaust, eliminating the factory exhaust valve...

No. I did not disable the 4cyl mode. I drive to much to go without it.

I ordered the Volant catback. It is a complete exhaust system. Therefor it completely replaces the factory exhaust, eliminating the factory exhaust valve...

No. I did not disable the 4cyl mode. I drive to much to go without it.

Ya thats what I'm thinking of going with. How has your gas milage been effected?

I don't believe it has been impacted either way...if it has, it is only maybe .5 mpg better, or so. I have seen 23.5 mpg on the freeway at 73 mph.

Oh thats pretty sweet actually. How much did you pay for the system?

Archived