'99 Suburban rear end clunking....

I have the dreaded rear end clunking on my '99 Suburban. have searched the net and found it helps the problem if you clean and grease the slip yoke with a teflon grease. Also heard there may be a nickel plated slip yoke available. Called the local dealer and they say no. Where exactly is the slip yoke located and has anybody else solved this problem and how??

Thats interesting.  I dont think its necessary to "fill" the yoke up though.

Ive corrected this problem on two truck and only had to lube up the outside of the yoke with my fingers.

The fix lasts several thousand miles.

My truck hasnt made a clunking noise yet and ive got about 10k since i last lubed the yoke.

<font color='#000000'>I have the dreaded rear end clunking on my '99 Suburban. have searched the net and found it helps the problem if you clean and grease the slip yoke with a teflon grease. Also heard there may be a nickel plated slip yoke available. Called the local dealer and they say no. Where exactly is the slip yoke located and has anybody else solved this problem and how??</font>

Your dealer is an F---ing LIAR!! There is a nickel plated slip yoke because I had one put on my 2001 Silverado under warranty about six months ago. I probably only got it because I was threatening to return the truck under the lemon law here in California. They were going to eat the cost. Do some research on TSB (technical service bulletins) RE: clunking in rear end and you should find the number.

Good luck :chevy:

I know they can replace the slip yoke with the nickle plated one for extra cab trucks, and not reg cab versions. I'm having mine replaced as we speak (along with some work to the transmission..........but that's another story) :chevy:

I'm not sure how this all translates to a Burb though.

Archived