4.2" I04 to I05 8" screen conversion with backup cam

I've got a I04 code 4.2" screen currently, I want to upgrade to the 8" screen without nav (i05 code.)

Questions I have are:

Do I need the new i05 hmi unit, or can my existing hmi be flashed by dealer?

If I do need the new i05 hmi, can I just order that and install with unit, or does that have to be programmed by dealer as well?

From what I've read, the few companies that do the programming try to push you into buying units through them, just wondering if they are actually even doing any programming or if it's a factory programmed module. Would make sense that it was factory programmed if your buying a unit that supports the 8" screen.

The 8" screen can be bought new for $350, and same with the i05 hmi. Everyone seems to be charging $1000 for this and you must mail them your old core.... Seems kinda high to me.

If nobody has just ordered them parts like this and tried it I'm inclined to do so and post the results.

From what it sounds like all you need to do is order the screen and have your HMI flashed at dealer.

They also sell the i05 and i06 HMI module, I think if you order one of those HMI modules you wouldn't need to do the dealer flash. They are after all the HMI for a truck that has the 8" screen. Looks like most of the people selling the upgrades for these trucks are just selling factory parts at a huge upcharge, then telling people they need custom flashes when all you have to do is order the correct part.

I pick my new truck up this week, I'll be ordering this once I can verify the factory backup cam plug is there so I can order all the parts at once.

Will update everyone on the install.

In the mean time, if anyone has actually done this upgrade by just ordering the GM parts, please chime in.

• 3 months later...

From what it sounds like all you need to do is order the screen and have your HMI flashed at dealer.

They also sell the i05 and i06 HMI module, I think if you order one of those HMI modules you wouldn't need to do the dealer flash. They are after all the HMI for a truck that has the 8" screen. Looks like most of the people selling the upgrades for these trucks are just selling factory parts at a huge upcharge, then telling people they need custom flashes when all you have to do is order the correct part.

I pick my new truck up this week, I'll be ordering this once I can verify the factory backup cam plug is there so I can order all the parts at once.

Will update everyone on the install.

In the mean time, if anyone has actually done this upgrade by just ordering the GM parts, please chime in.

Did you have any luck with this?

I want to upgrade mine too. I have the 4.2 with Mylink, and XM, I just want to upgrade the screen size.

Thx

Archived