A cool new 22 LR in my safe

I went shooting with my brother-in-law yesterday. Before we left his house, he was digging around for guns and pulled out some of his late father's stuff. He pulled out this Walther 22 LR GSP that I recall seeing more than 25 years ago. I said "lets shoot that thing". He brought it along and we got some match ammo for it. Really a fun gun. It's made for single hand competition and has a heavily sculpted grip to cradle your hand. But it can be two handed comfortably too.

When I took him home, he said "put it in your safe". I didn't argue.

It has an interesting takedown for cleaning. The clamp lever on the side gets rotated counter-clockwise to unclamp a pinch on a dovetail in the front, then the barrel/upper receiver is slid forward a half inch and tipped up in the back to remove. To clean the barrel from the breach (the only correct way for such a high quality target gun), the allen head set screw is removed from under the barrel/receiver and the barrel is pulled forward. To fully strip the receiver, the bolt handle is removed and the bolt slides forward out of the upper. The trigger group is in the grip frame.

ec288950-0924-4bd5-951b-37d325083759_zps

109d8c94-0650-4334-9b42-fcf8f788228a_zps

I received a BME weaver mount in the mail today. It took me a couple hours of filing to fit it up nicely. The Tasco was laying around from decades ago. I may put a modern little reflex sight on it later if I like the gun.

IMG_20161007_211424_zpsznyy48ug.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree with Knightfall, a .22 pistol can provide hours or even years of shooting fun, even though ammo has been in short supply for many until recently i have had the luxury of shooting ammo that i have collected for thirty years. It is fun to see a fellow shooter, particularly younger ones check out boxes of Montgomery wards, Sears, Western Auto, Peters and other brands that are dead today or rarely seen.

The Walther here is beyond the plinking stage I have a large variety of pistols from early Colt Woodsman, 1911 conversion 45/.22 , Star and Llama, Beretta and many others that get shot on a regular basis ( thus my need for buying ammo often and placing it on the shelf for many years).

I like shooting other calibers as well but as i age my ability to handle recoil diminishes so .45 auto is about my max in pistols and shooting the pile of .22's becomes more appealing. A .22 lr hitting a chunk of brick gives a neat reaction and puff of red dust rising in the air, or when visiting my buddy in Texas each year we hunt and trap Hogs. The Trapped ones usually get a single .22 to the brain while the hunted ones take a bit more persuasion. Last year I shot forty hogs in two months, the year before my best effort was a 350+# ugly stinky boar. I used a AAC Handi Rifle ( single shot with 16" barrel) in 300 Blackout on the big guy...one shot and he went down.

Really enjoy the shooting sports as they are so varied: hunting to Cowboy Action Shooting :)

• 5 months later...

Awesome little fun and a blast to shoot!! My father and I collect Colt Woodsman's...love shooting the old guns. They were built so well and feel great in the hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived