Gauge cluster swap

Can I swap a 2000 Silverado 2500hd gauge cluster into a 2003 Silverado 1500? The only thing I can see different is the connection comes out the top of the cluster on the 2500 instead of the back and the dic across the bottom. I'm asking because I grabbed off craigslist for $75 thinking it would work but as soon as I plug it in I get 3 dings and nothing on the cluster lights up/moves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No these are incompatible.

03-05 are directly compatible but if you have steering wheel controls or Auto HVAC you will need to get it married to other CPUs. 06-07 classic may also work with an 03 but the cluster looks different mainly the PRND321 display. Don't know the year of your truck but a 2003 cluster isn't compatible with an 06-07.

What's wrong with your cluster, it is often cheaper to fix your cluster than to by a junkyard one.

Edited by Coby7

The lights are going bad one by one and the Speedo steeper motor is shot reading over 120 mph all the time and does not return to zero. I was looking to add the tranny temp mine is a 1500 w/o it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Even if you'd put an HD cluster in your truck the transmission temp gauge wouldn't work because it wouldn't receive the proper data from the ECU. Sounds like you should just get your Cluster repaired or refurbished. You must have someone local. So I'm sure you can get it repaired and maybe LEDed to a different colour locally for $150 USd. Get it to look like this.

2016-09-17%2010.16.48_zps0pnzr1tg.jpg

Edited by txab
advert
  • Like 1

Even if you'd put an HD cluster in your truck the transmission temp gauge wouldn't work because it wouldn't receive the proper data from the ECU. Sounds like you should just get your Cluster repaired or refurbished. You must have someone local. So I'm sure you can get it repaired and maybe LEDed to a different colour locally for $150 USd. Get it to look like this.

2016-09-17%2010.16.48_zps0pnzr1tg.jpg

I think some have had luck with the tranny temp gauge working after plugging it in on their non gauge trucks.

I would be inclined to get the stepper motors replaced and then add the tranny temp motor and get a new overlay. I'm betting the gauge will work.

Edited by bndawgs

Not if you don't have an Allison transmission, it's the only one with a temp sensor I believe... Could be wrong though, been wrong before with these trucks. Best way for you to find out is enter your VIN on a site like GMpartsGiant and search for transmission temperature sensor it will tell you if your truck has one.

Edited by Coby7

If I remember correctly, I thought it might have to do with the year of the truck as well, as to whether it would work or not. It's been awhile since I had my Tahoe though.

Coby, I see you over on the snowblower forum as well.

Yup I like helping people out when I can, also on lawnmower, YourCobalt, and tractor forum with same nickname. Mitsubishi, GasBuddy and fix-it forum with different nickname. Outie, Outy or any variation.

The Cluster you have only fits 99-02 Trucks and 00-02 SUvs

03 Up Clusters will interchange from 03 -07 Classic but late 05 up have the led PRNDL but it will work with 05 down.

As for the trans temp from a 3/4 ton it will plug and play with any 1/2 ton truck just plug in the new cluster and you are set.

That works in both series of clusters.

If you add the stepper motor and overlay for trans temp you have a 50 50 shot of it working without programming. I have been 95% successful adding the trans temp gauge to a cluster that did not have it and did not need to program.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...