03 Silverado Instrument Cluster

Well I guess we have fell into the same boat as many other GM truck owners, appears my instrument cluster (speedometer only) is k-put.

Anyone have a source for repair they would recommend? ANy suggestions?

thanks, have had more accessory trouble with this truck then any other I have ever had, only 43K miles.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a place in Michigan that does them. I think it is call Bob's Instruments, or Bob's gauges. Google is your friend.

Just talked to them, sounded fine decent prices..

I also see amazon has a stepper gage (6) rebuild kit for $38.00. I may just decide to get the kit and swap the speedometer stepper switch myself. However, first I think I will make sure the transmission sensor is not bad. Have an oil scheduled friday and will have them plug in a tech tool.

thanks, Bob's is definitely a number to keep in mind.

Couldn't find guy that did mine. Search eBay gm cluster rebuild. Found several.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

thanks, the ebay boys are in the chase as well. appreciate the input

Wow, I can't do it for that price. I just finished a C8500 and a TrailBlazer. It took 30 minutes just to pull the cluster out of the TrailBlazer, then searching pin out for proper calibration of the gauges, changing the motors, plucking the bulbs and replacing with 12 volt LED, cleaning and polishing the lens and re-installing. I could never do all that for $50. You work for cheap, I figure motors and LEDs are close to that.

OH! OP if you are going to attempt this yourself make sure your iron tip temperature doesn't exceed 750°F or you will lift the foil from the circuit board.

Yeah, I don't know where he gets his motors or LEDs but 100 motors cost me over $500 Cdn and 500 Amber LEDs 5000 mcd would cost me close to $500 Cdn also after customs, shipping and other fees. I use these 12 volt LEDs.

Room lights ''ON''

2016-12-08%2015.21.22_zpstgy9dgnn.jpg

Room lights ''OFF''

2016-12-08%2015.21.53_zpscmnoi2rv.jpg

Blue ones installed

2016-12-04%2011.37.59_zpsudfy400c.jpg

My last batch of motors was for 1000 to try and cut shipping cost over time so I can charge less to customers but I still couldn't do it for $50. I'm in a very small market area serving New-Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island with the occasional one outside that zone. I only average 10 a month and only do this to pass time and help the less fortunate that can't afford dealer prices. I'm retired and enjoy meeting people 99.9% of the time. Most of my attention is towards keyFOBs where I repair about 80 per month and again to help people avoid stealer prices.

2015-12-09%2010.08.25_zpszqqpbav9.jpg

I want to thank all that have replied and provided good solid options. Not sure what I will do yet. Just drove back from Drs today and speedo started working, then went k-put again. For the first time as I approached a traffic light low speed I could here some clicking in the cluster. Anyway I will have to make a decision soon, many have advised to change out all 6 motors so that might be the way I go. I seen the kit on amazon, $38.00. Guess I would have to be careful with the heat, have not soldered in a long time but that should not present too many challenges. Obviously painless option is to remove and send away. Thanks again to all, will let ya know how it goes.....Much obliged

Yeah, I don't know where he gets his motors or LEDs but 100 motors cost me over $500 Cdn and 500 Amber LEDs 5000 mcd would cost me close to $500 Cdn also after customs, shipping and other fees. I use these 12 volt LEDs.

Room lights ''ON''

2016-12-08%2015.21.22_zpstgy9dgnn.jpg

Room lights ''OFF''

2016-12-08%2015.21.53_zpscmnoi2rv.jpg

Blue ones installed

2016-12-04%2011.37.59_zpsudfy400c.jpg

My last batch of motors was for 1000 to try and cut shipping cost over time so I can charge less to customers but I still couldn't do it for $50. I'm in a very small market area serving New-Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island with the occasional one outside that zone. I only average 10 a month and only do this to pass time and help the less fortunate that can't afford dealer prices. I'm retired and enjoy meeting people 99.9% of the time. Most of my attention is towards keyFOBs where I repair about 80 per month and again to help people avoid stealer prices.

2015-12-09%2010.08.25_zpszqqpbav9.jpg

Yours OEM Switec / Juken Motors? All mine are white from switec. I just redid a cluster from myairbags.com and they had black motors in them.

I get my motors from oem direct not from china and they are white. My led light are made in the USA and I attach resisters to them as well. I also offer a color changing light. I first seen them on eBay and I ordered some but could not stop them from burning up. Then a friend contacted me about a new set that just came out and I've been running them in my truck now for 6 months with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you honestly think the white ones aren't manufacture in China? When I first started doing this I was installing the white ones but then they started coming back, so I switched to the black ones and never had one come back for failure. They are more precise,quieter, screwed together and doesn't have the nylon bushing rubbing on a nylon sleeve.

The 12 volt LEDs cost more but do not require a resistor and surface mounts solidly to the board.

2016-12-10%2010.36.05_zpsnzqbzsvh.jpg

Archived