03 Silverado Instrument Cluster

Supposedly they are better now and are suppose to be improved, but my problem was how did I know I would be getting the ''B'' version since it still has the same number stamped on it. Since I was quite satisfied with the performance of these, I stayed with these. I only have 60 left and will be ordering an other batch soon, hopefully the Canadian dollar will rise a bit since I order these from a place in California.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along the same lines...................the P-R-N-D-L LED on my 03 Silverado is dead. Any way to replace that or does the whole board need to be replaced?

There is no LED for the PRND321 display in an 03 just started in 06, it has an electroluminescent display. You will need to re-flow solder of the seven 510 ohm resistors at the top left of the speedometer stepper motor and the one 560 ohm just outside the red circle. You may need to add a little bit of solder to accomplish this properly.

2015-03-07%2008.43.43_zps1wl0oxvn.jpg

There is no LED for the PRND321 display in an 03 just started in 06, it has an electroluminescent display. You will need to re-flow solder of the seven 510 ohm resistors at the top left of the speedometer stepper motor and the one 560 ohm just outside the red circle. You may need to add a little bit of solder to accomplish this properly.

2015-03-07%2008.43.43_zps1wl0oxvn.jpg

Oh really ? Cold solder joints? Age? Reason I say that is my 04 Vettes electronic climate control display started getting dim and then almost went completely out...fix was to remove board, re-flow solder along each side of the 8 resistors and it was good as new.

I'm guessing it;s the same thing for my trucks PRND321 as well ?

Yup, these resistors are to close to the background speedometer bulb which gets very hot at times causing these to crack and eventually fail.

This is one of the reasons I replace all bulbs with LEDs, it drops consumption of cluster by 10 watts

Yup, these resistors are to close to the background speedometer bulb which gets very hot at times causing these to crack and eventually fail.

This is one of the reasons I replace all bulbs with LEDs, it drops consumption of cluster by 10 watts

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP Coby !

• 2 weeks later...
Re-flow of solder on the 8 resistors was a success...I did run into a slight problem when 2 of the stepper motor shafts pulled out while removing indicator needles but believe it on not, I un-soldered the 2, split the case open, re inserted the shafts in the gears, lined up the stop indicator pin inside and reassembled . re soldered back on to the board.............EVERYTHING WORKS !

I do think that , since all of the stepper motor sweeps had a bit of scratchiness to them I'll order 6 new ones and replace them.

Thanks again for all of your help !

On my 99 silverado I just purchased yeseterday the Guage cluster was working great but today the rpm Guage is not working amd odometer is blank amd message centre is not lite up ..possibly spedometor is also not working.

I have to chime in and say thank you guys. My PRND has been out for about four years. Figured it would need the cluster replaced, however I did replace a few stepper motors prior to the display quitting. I shrugged it off but the wife reminds me of it to this day. I will have to convert to LEDs replace the tach motor and reflow the resistors. Wish me luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yours OEM Switec / Juken Motors? All mine are white from switec. I just redid a cluster from myairbags.com and they had black motors in them.

Black motors had failed or you replaced them anyway? I've never had a black motor fail in 6 years.... I'm kinda wondering if that cluster didn't have a different problem.

I have to chime in and say thank you guys. My PRND has been out for about four years. Figured it would need the cluster replaced, however I did replace a few stepper motors prior to the display quitting. I shrugged it off but the wife reminds me of it to this day. I will have to convert to LEDs replace the tach motor and reflow the resistors. Wish me luck!

Just don't overheat anything on these boards.

Mine were all white, it's been about six years since I did it. My tach is lazy below 1K RPMs, so I figured I'd replace it while I'm there. Just another project to add to the list.

So if I was going to buy a single stepper, I see on Amazon the white 5th generation and a six pack of the black ones? What's the final verdict on them? Thanks again!

I've never had a problem with the black ones in 6 years so I never went back to the white ones. Apparently they are now at the sixth generation so they probably have it right by now with the white ones. Problem is you don't know which generation you're getting unless specified because they all look exactly the same.

Archived