03 Silverado Instrument Cluster

Well, I went all the way. Resoldered the PRND321 resistors, replaced all the steppers, and changed the lighting to LED. I haven't had the shift indicator work for atleast 5+ years.

Thanks for all the help guys, it's a nice feeling spending only $20, and getting it back to new.

Now on to my mystery grinding noise that only comes for about 3 seconds every two or so weeks [emoji35] .

post-168093-148573279585_thumb.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I went all the way. Resoldered the PRND321 resistors, replaced all the steppers, and changed the lighting to LED. I haven't had the shift indicator work for atleast 5+ years.

Thanks for all the help guys, it's a nice feeling spending only $20, and getting it back to new.

Congrat's I know the feeling, mine was out for about 5 yrs as well ! :thumbs:

Well after reading all these posts you guys just about have convinced me to try this repair myself. As OP, I did not expect all this activity but am sure pleased it is here.

I have not soldered in years, decades actually and when I did we used soldered irons and guns, assume this will take a pencil type.

I see removing the cluster appears no big deal.

What would be a suitable soldering tool? I assume a very pointed one, any pictures?

Type of solder and flux please?

I see the solder tool needs to be kept at a constant temp. Not sure how that is done unless there is an adjustable temp setting on them.

The only inop part on mine (and only now and again) is the speedometer.

If someone could share a little info again I would be appreciative.

EDIT: this one has a temp setting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1RHUAX/ref=s9_acsd_newrz_hd_bw_b3V2lyt_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=V3JXAS2Z1MTWG7DWQ9EN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=ac73b7e8-15e6-5d26-ab92-6c2be9867433&pf_rd_i=3207126011

That should do the trick. I use 63-37 blend 0.8mm dia with 2% flux. It's what works best for me. You won't need this big of a roll and it doesn't have to be this brand.

2017-02-01%2012.50.25_zps05r4xc0z.jpg

so I guess you do not manually add any solder except what is encased in the solder. I will see what they have in the big box stores.

thanks for taking the time to post, always very informative.

CORRECTED 2 Feb 17: I see I chopped up this post

instead of add any solder except what is encased in the solder

I meant

instead of add any FLUX except what is encased in the solder.

If you are going to order the iron you posted from Amazon.com you may as well order solder also. You won't need much!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015CIIJ5C?psc=1

Actually just noticed the kit already comes with solder but it doesn't specify what it is. Should be good enough for your needs though.

Archived