Bed Light Wiring Help

Do I did some searching and can't find someone who has done it yet. I am installing my own LED lights but I do not want them to come on with the cargo lights. I want to install a plunger switch so that when I drop the tailgate, it turns the lights on but I also want to add a toggle switch so that if I am going to keep the tailgate down I can just turn them off via the toggle. What would be the proper way to wire this?

Correct. Now technically you could have a 3 position switch to have the lights work with the tailgate closed.... But that would be a bit more complicated.

Basically pos or neg going to the switch. One pole (up for example) going to the plunger, one pole (down for example) spliced in past it.

Up means lights come on when tailgate is open. Middle breaks all continuity (no lights on), down turns on lights regardless of tailgate switch.

Thanks for the help. My truck is lifted and has a tonneau cover I put on so regardless, the tailgate will have to be down. Can't open cover without dropping tailgate. Didn't think about it so my main thing is having control to turn it off during extended periods of time with the tailgate down. Everything should be here this week and then I will post back if I have any issues. Thank you

Archived