A/c compressor won't kick in except on defrost

Just so that I understand correctly, you are claiming that if you have an A/C system that is out of coolant, and you spend $20 on a few cans of feon, and put it in the system to the operating pressure (without purging the system of air), that the systems will not produce cold air out of the vents? We are not manufacturing cars, we are not running an A/C shop. These people are looking for a cheap and easy fix, and that's what i'm talking about. If they wanted it done by the book, they would go to the dealer and pay thousands of dollars to have it done "by the book". We are not talking about a dealership, we are talking about a quick easy fix. Do you understand that? What would be the absolute best option for reliability? The DEALERSHIP. For hundreds or thousands of dollars. The cheap easy fix i'm talking about is $20, and it will make cold air come out of your vents. Whats the problem. When people ask for help on this site, why not just post the phone number to the local dealership and tell them not to fiddle with their car. Jeez Louise!

How about this one: bending the squeekers out of the way on worn out brake pads to squeeze a little more life out of them if your flat broke. This is a simple easy quick fix, that can help broke people get by. Is it correct: NO, is it the best option; NO. Whats the best option for reliability? The dealership!

My point is that I'm not trying to give the absolute best reliability option at any cost. Im trying to explain how you can get the system up and running on the cheap. Get it? Understand?

Pepper in the radiator, duct tape on a bad radiator hose, JB weld on a cracked part, etc etc.

Cheap easy fix VS dealership fix $$$$

I'm not sure how to be any more clear.

Just so that I understand correctly, you are claiming that if you have an A/C system that is out of coolant, and you spend $20 on a few cans of feon, and put it in the system to the operating pressure (without purging the system of air), that the systems will not produce cold air out of the vents? We are not manufacturing cars, we are not running an A/C shop. These people are looking for a cheap and easy fix, and that's what i'm talking about. If they wanted it done by the book, they would go to the dealer and pay thousands of dollars to have it done "by the book". We are not talking about a dealership, we are talking about a quick easy fix. Do you understand that? What would be the absolute best option for reliability? The DEALERSHIP. For hundreds or thousands of dollars. The cheap easy fix i'm talking about is $20, and it will make cold air come out of your vents. Whats the problem. When people ask for help on this site, why not just post the phone number to the local dealership and tell them not to fiddle with their car. Jeez Louise!

Please stop with your advice, at least when it comes to AC systems. You openly advocate no vacuum procedure is necessary when the system has been open to the atmosphere. You also advocate venting refrigerant in to the atmosphere which is wrong and illegal. . This just totally stupid and wrong for so many reasons. Now you seem to only focus on a system being a little low on refrigerant totally different animal vs an open system

Air is a non condensable gas in a refrigeration system. It will throw pressure readings off. Moisture is also non condensable and can cause corrosion and compressor failure not to mention freezing in the system and causing a blockage One of the big things about air in system...... it does not have the ability to carry lubricating oil with it.. The refrigerant gas carries the lube throughout the system, which is how the pump stays lubricated.

It does not take "thousands of dollars" to properly evacuate a system or a trip to the dealership. Vacuum pumps are available to rent and are easy to use

I own several vehicles that have been fixed this way. One of them has been used regularly since the repair back in 2002. No problems have developed on that vehicle or any of my other rigs that were recharged this way. Why are you so against it? Because its not by the book? It works, doesn't it? Im assuming that you have never tried it, because you think its wrong. All the books would say its wrong. I used to think it was a bad idea. When I was younger, I didn't have the money to send the vehicle to a shop. I was warned not to repair it this way by all the repair shops I talked to. I figured that there is nothing to lose by trying to fix it cheaply, because its either that or just never have A/C. What did I have to lose? After trying it, it worked great. I tried it on other vehicles and it worked. It became routine, with no problems at all. Now that I have the money to do it properly, there is no reason to. Why spend a bunch of money or send it to the shop? I replaced the whole front clip on my Pathfinder, and put in a new condenser. Obviously its full of air, right? I added coolant and presto, I have A/C. That was 5 years ago and the A/C on that rig is ice cold. No pump failures or anything like that. My curiosity is not about A/C, what I'm curious about is why you are so explosively against what I'm saying. If you tried it, and saw it work, you might feel differently. Its hard to break something that's already broken, and if someone has no money to fix it properly, why not show them some tricks get it going cheaply.

What I am against is advice that is obviously incorrect, piss poor and possibly harmful. Your method is generally a pay me now or pay me later method. If one needed AC at that very moment for a very short period your idea may work somewhat. But for long term repair it correctly, don't leave it for the next unsuspecting owner. You're not going to win me over. I have over 30 years experience with the refrigeration industry. I still call BULLSHIT on your story.

If you continue to post this advice, it will be deleted.

Back on topic....................

• 2 months later...

Moisture in the system will lead to ice forming in the system. Usually, this occurs just down stream from the orifice. Pressure will build up, and if there is a high pressure switch, cause the system to shut off the compressor.

The questioned poster may be getting lucky and letting in dry air (NM,AZ,).

OP, you will need to verify pressure first. Manifold set needed to check psi at rest. Once, confirmed, electrical diagnostic. Verify power to various sensors and relays. Jumper sensor and relays. Missing power to any of these is usually sign that control module or control switches have failed. Power to all of them indicates one of the sensors has failed.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Local junk yard pricing (pickNpull):

684 A/C Clutch Car $30.99

682-1 A/C Compressor (All) Car $39.99

679 A/C Condenser Car $30.99

683-2 A/C Double Hose Car $6.99

681-3 A/C Dryer Car $1.99

681-2 A/C Duct Car $5.39

680 A/C Evaporator Car $25.99

683-1 A/C Single Hose Car $13.49

If by chance anything gets messed up on the A/C system, you can replace all of the A/C parts for less than the cost of an A/C diagnostic at the local repair shop.

Archived