2/3 drop on '01 Tahoe

I'm thinking about going with a 2/3 lowering kit on my Tahoe. I don't want a dropped look per say, but more of a level look without so much room between the wheel wells and the tires. I love my truck, but I just think that looks awful.

Will this kit lower my towing capacity at all? I'm pretty confident in what I've read so far, that buying the kit from Belltech will keep the ride as smooth as it is now. Also, would I need the bumb stops with this kit? Is this something that can be done by a DIY'er or a professional shop? Anyone have ideas of costs for installation?

One last question, I want the truck to look nice so I was wondering if I would have to buy bigger wheels to complete the look. I have the stock 16's on there now of course and was was going to buy some A/T Revos in a 265/75/16. Do you all think it would be a wiser decision in waiting and getting 20's? My concern is I live in PA (lots of snow) and what to keep the truck capable in bad snow and weather. And I know alot of the bigger tires aren't true all season tires.

Thanks all your suggestions and help. With all the money at stake, I just want to make sure and do things the right way the first time ~ :)

I'm looking to do the same thing on my 03 Tahoe so I'm watching what people say.

I'm looking for more of a 2/2 drop as I like the stock rake with the butt up in the air but the truck is taller than I want. Does anyone know what GM is using on the Tahoe SS? I know it has a 2/4 drop for a level ride, but are they doing that as something semi-custom or can you get the pieces from GM Parts Direct and have a GM bolt-on set-up as opposed to an aftermarket cut-out-the-stock-jounce-stops install?

A 2/3 drop will not lower your towing capacity (if done right).

As far as wheels: wait until you get it droped before you buy any, you may change you mind about the size.

A good web site is Stylin Concepts. Just put in you modle and it will give you all the kits and prices.

I suggest 2 inch spindles for the front. I have been told that DJM is better than Beltech for your year modle. For the rear they should have 3 inch springs for you.

@BuckyT: any aftermarket setup will be a direct bolt in, until you go into bigger drops or bags. Anything less than a 4/6 drop should not require any mods or cutting. As far as the parts for the hoe SS, it is probably nothing more than what an aftermarket kit would be. Unless they went with coilovers and a four link out back you will get the same thing out of a kit of the same drop.

A spindle? Sorry, I'm new to this and I'm not sure what that is. Would that come in the 2/3 kit? I notice the link you posted is for the Beltech kit. I don't see a kit for 4WD on DJM at stylinconcepts web site.

Does anyone else have any experience with Belltech as for the quality?

OK, the beltech kit does not have spindles, so don't worry about those. It does have torsion keys, so I think that it is for a 4wd. Your going to have to call them and ask if it will to be sure.

As far as beltechs quality, the only problem I have heard of is that djm makes better spindles for the 99-up trucks. But you don't have to worry about spindles.

Archived