Lift kit

That is not a lift kit, it is a leveling kit.

Any/all aftermarket upper control arms will have plenty of down travel meaning they will not hit the frame stops unless you crank the hell out of aftermarket keys.

I would save yourself the trouble/money and start by just cranking the bars, you can always add shock spacers, diff drop spacers, upper control arms, and even keys if needed later.

That is not a lift kit, it is a leveling kit.

Any/all aftermarket upper control arms will have plenty of down travel meaning they will not hit the frame stops unless you crank the hell out of aftermarket keys.

I would save yourself the trouble/money and start by just cranking the bars, you can always add shock spacers, diff drop spacers, upper control arms, and even keys if needed later.
SMiller, thanks again for your input, always on point. As you know, I already have my stock keys turned up, but looking for a bit more. I'm not really interested in a 5-6" lift, so this seems to be the compromise.

I was just concerned about contacting the upper stop using this method, even with a new set of upper arms

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

My off the cuff answer is no. Rough country has a scratch and dent store on eBay that’s where I bought my kit for $450. While all of the parts in this kit are not necessary to level your truck and everyone seems to have an option on this subject I don’t agree with the just crank it up. I looked at trucks of our generation that were cranked up and quickly decided to get upper control arms which in my opinion should be considered depending on how much cranking a person is considering. One truck belonging to a friend was cranked up and the uca were almost touching the stops another truck was cranked so far they cut off the bump stop and I could see were the arms were still contacting what was left of the bump stops. My truck is up around 3in or more and there is as much or more space between the RC uca’s and the bump stops and my upper ball joints are not in anyway stressed or angled all the way to one side. Just my opinion based on actual experience. 

My off the cuff answer is no. Rough country has a scratch and dent store on eBay that’s where I bought my kit for $450. While all of the parts in this kit are not necessary to level your truck and everyone seems to have an option on this subject I don’t agree with the just crank it up. I looked at trucks of our generation that were cranked up and quickly decided to get upper control arms which in my opinion should be considered depending on how much cranking a person is considering. One truck belonging to a friend was cranked up and the uca were almost touching the stops another truck was cranked so far they cut off the bump stop and I could see were the arms were still contacting what was left of the bump stops. My truck is up around 3in or more and there is as much or more space between the RC uca’s and the bump stops and my upper ball joints are not in anyway stressed or angled all the way to one side. Just my opinion based on actual experience. 
Thanks 4w. Not looking to level, I already did that with the factory keys. Not hitting the upper stops, everything is good so far. Just looking to go higher, but don't want to go to a 5" kit. The RC 3.5" is perfect, but with the parts involved, I'm looking through the used pages for the majority of the parts, if not all. I'm a kinda frugal guy that way [emoji6]

Me too. But I was only able to find the scratch and dent kit. I just couldn’t find anything gently used. If there is a brand name associated with those parts you posted certainly they could tell you for sure if any of that stuff might work of course. Hope you have better luck with your frugal shopping than I did. 

Me too. But I was only able to find the scratch and dent kit. I just couldn’t find anything gently used. If there is a brand name associated with those parts you posted certainly they could tell you for sure if any of that stuff might work of course. Hope you have better luck with your frugal shopping than I did. 
Hhhmmm, I'll ask him if he has that info and the kit#, then I'll ask the manufacturer

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 5:31 PM, 4wdriver said:

I'm looking at this kit also. Seems like it would take all the stress out of lifting with cranking factory keys but not spending a lot of money. Do you still like it? Seems like easy DIY in a weekend. 

Look up Dar Braun on facebook. He is a dealer that sells the ZONE 5" lift and it is literally only a couple hundred bucks more than the Rough Country Level Kit.

I was tempted by the RC too, but patiently waiting to install a proper lift instead. 

Don't try to cheap out on the suspension of an 8500 pound truck that cost over 50k when new.

When those front end parts break, it can be catastrophic and deadly... 

9 hours ago, boynton6spd said:

Look up Dar Braun on facebook. He is a dealer that sells the ZONE 5" lift and it is literally only a couple hundred bucks more than the Rough Country Level Kit.

I was tempted by the RC too, but patiently waiting to install a proper lift instead. 

Don't try to cheap out on the suspension of an 8500 pound truck that cost over 50k when new.

When those front end parts break, it can be catastrophic and deadly... 

I’ve had my crewcab over the scales and it’s around 7000 pounds. Not sure which model is 8500 maybe a crewcab long bed diesel. I can’t speak about zone products but the parts I got from RC are pleasantly heavy duty maybe more so than the stock stuff. Above I was asked if I still like the RC kit which I do however I replaced the shocks because the bushings were shot quickly and RC Gladly sent me new ones but they were the wrong ones. The shocks also don’t mount like stock which I didn’t like. I replaced them with fox adventure series shocks and am pleased with them. People say save for a real lift but that’s not always an option for everyone. I for example would love to lift my truck 6inches but that’s not ideal for plowing so I had to compromise to get my truck modified the way I like but not so much it couldn’t perform the work I need it for the way I want it to. I may have said it in another thread but I might have pieced together a custom kit with the parts I like if I had to do this again mainly because of the shocks from RC. They should offer an upgraded kit with another choice of shocks like some of their competitors. 

• 2 weeks later...

I installed this kit on my 17 today. While some companies like Zone have great products... you’re not risking anyone buy using RC parts on your truck. Its well built, maybe it won’t last 300,000 miles on the bushings.... but for $600 did you expect it to? No.

The new Control arms are made to provide plenty of travel even at 3” of life in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived