1996 4L60E compatibility

New to the forum, so thanks in advance for all any help. I bought a 1996 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.7L. A week after I bought it the trans has started slipping out of OD and shifts pretty hard from 1st to 2nd. Bought the truck from a family member who said the trans was rebuilt at the beginning of the year. I believe at this point I'm just going to swap out the trans. So my question is what year transmissions are interchangeable with the 1996. I tried doing some searching, but can't find my answer.

Well a 1996 would.  I believe a 1996-1998 would fit.  After that the bolt pattern changes from small block to LS.  Before that, they used a different style non removable bell housing.  You might have better luck taking the trans you have now to be rebuilt "again" instead of trying to find a used one somewhere.  

If I were you, and I'm obviously not, I would upgrade to 4l80e. It's a noticeable difference. But depends on what condition the motor and rest of truck are in. Probably cheaper to rebuild the existing. 

Just a thought...the warranty may not be transferable but if that tranny was rebuilt by a decent shop and has warranty remaining, maybe your family member that you got it from would take it in for you under his warranty.

I had a similar experience but it wasn't a family member and it also wasn't a coincidence that he was selling the truck and the trans suddenly started acting up. A lot of guys will throw a bottle of Lucas transmission fix in there and get another 1000km from the tranny which is enough to sell it to some poor unsuspecting buyer. Then it burns up completely a week later going down the road. I'm not saying that's what has happend here. If you got it from a family member they probably wouldn't do that to you. 

Are you getting any codes regarding the poor trans performance or slipping?

2 minutes ago, SierraDually said:

If I were you, and I'm obviously not, I would upgrade to 4l80e. It's a noticeable difference. But depends on what condition the motor and rest of truck are in. Probably cheaper to rebuild the existing. 

Just a thought...the warranty may not be transferable but if that tranny was rebuilt by a decent shop and has warranty remaining, maybe your family member that you got it from would take it in for you under his warranty.

I had a similar experience but it wasn't a family member and it also wasn't a coincidence that he was selling the truck and the trans suddenly started acting up. A lot of guys will throw a bottle of Lucas transmission fix in there and get another 1000km from the tranny which is enough to sell it to some poor unsuspecting buyer. Then it burns up completely a week later going down the road. I'm not saying that's what has happend here. If you got it from a family member they probably wouldn't do that to you. 

Are you getting any codes regarding the poor trans performance or slipping?

Is there any modifications that need to be done to switch a k1500 to an 4L80E?

15 hours ago, Jtg1551 said:

I am finding transmissions for 250-350$ and I have access to a lift, so I won't have to pay labor. I would think the cost at a shop would not even be comparable.

I wish you good luck buying a 4L60e for $300.  Thats just a crap shoot, you dont really know if its going to last 25 miles or 50,000.  If it were me, I would rebuild what I had at a reputable shop.  

There's a kit you can buy to convert to 4l80e from 4l60e. Comes with stuff like a transfer case adapter and hardware,new filler tube, shifter cable bracket, wiring harness adaptor and A couple other things. Have to re-flash the ecm too I think. First gear feels a lot different. There's quite a difference in torque rating. And the 80 is a little heavier. It's worth it if you're planning to keep it and do some towing.  For general street use as a daily driver to work or whatever, the 4l60 is adequate. 

i can go to the junkyard tomorrow and pull a tranny then list it on kijiji the next day. you get what u pay for. I would not put a $350 tranny in my truck. Around here you can get a decent 4l60e rebuild with warranty for around $750-$850. Give them your old trans and you will save a little. It matters what year it's from. There are valve body issues in some. Google " p1870" I think it is. That's one of the notorious problems. You want to get one that already has those sort of issues taken care of. Any decent rebuilder will be able to tell you everything you need to know about the one you buy. 

Good luck 

• 5 years later...