2002 Silverado 880 to H11 fog light conversion

(Skip to the end if you don't feel like reading this long drawn out post ?) I have an 02 2500hd and it came with fog lights from the factory. Ive since replaced the housings because they were shot and the lenses were gone. I swapped my factory headlights with HIDs and new housings and I've been fighting an uphill battle trying to find a quality HID kit for the fog lights to match that'll last longer than 6 months. The factory pigtail on these trucks takes an 880 fog light bulb. I'm sure some people on here will know that the 880 halogen is junk when it comes to functionality. I was at O'Reilly's the other day and was looking at their fog light bulbs and noticed the H11 bulb socket lines up with the 880 pigtail. Only thing different on them is the plastic tabs to hold them in place are different. With a little modification and some electrical tape I'm sure I could make the H11s fit properly (I bought one and plugged it in and yes it lit up just fine). But I was thinking about the idea of cutting off the 880 pigtails and connecting some H11 pigtails in their place. I did the same thing to my DRL sockets cause they were burnt out and they work just fine over a year later with white LEDs instead of halogens. Reason I'm wanting to convert to H11 pigtails is cause I finally found a site with a quality LED bulb that will match my headlights. But the only one that will put down enough light on the road between their 880 and H11 is the H11. I believe their H11 is something like 2000 lumens (give or take) whereas their 880 only puts out some 800ish lumens. Also if I'm not mistaken the 03-06 silverados used the H11 bulbs for their fog lights so I would assume the H11 pigtails should work on my 02 as long as their systems are the same. So would anyone on here with better automotive electrical experience be able to tell me if converting my 880 pigtails to H11 work properly?

i see no issue, the amperage draw would be the same since you are going for HIDs. you would be the only one knowing that the pigtails are different. if you were not using HIDs i don't know the amperage draw from the two different bulbs off the top of my head. did you replace the fog housing? are you going to use the relay kit for you HIDs? if so no need for pigtails, just tap in to wires. not sure if you swapped headlight housing or fog light housing I'm guessing fogs cuz you are asking about the h11.

Archived