Put Truck To Work Recently

Couple weekends ago I loaded the bed up with a bunch of wood to build one heck of a fenced in garden structure to keep deer out.  I believe there was around 1690lbs of wood per the online calculator I found on Google.  Truck handled it fairly well for the roughly 5 mile drive back to the house.  Definitely a little floaty feeling while cruising along at 50mph where the road has a few gradual whoops in it.  The ol GoodYear LS2s were able to handle it though.  Was nice to finally load up the truck.  Usually she's just a daily driven show piece with occasional towing of the toys lol.

I thought it was really weird how much more it was sagging when I got it home.  Must have been the differences in angels when parked.

w79w45Y.jpg

Scj2jNj.jpg

50 minutes ago, Buckshot556 said:

That is interesting.  Maybe the springs grew tired after the drive?

What's the payload on that truck? 2k? 

Lol i dunno do they just get tired like that? Yea the payload is just shy of 2k.

1 hour ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Hmm, similar thoughts?

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

ahhh, a guy with a truck for the job! :D  what ya buildin?

19 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Where the payload is distributed is important, you were probably at the max considering how much weight was behind the rear axle

good point, a decent amount of the weight was definitely behind the axle.

11 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

As far as the sag difference goes, the spring settled on the drive back under load because they could move...friction kept them in place during loading.

makes sense to me!

Ehhh, got into (read: unknowingly made myself) a mess.

Long story, but I reused some lumber to build my daughter a play set back in 2010, just found out the lumber that I thought was pressure treated (PT) outdoor lumber wasn't...deck boards and some of the structure was rotting out. So, I'm replacing all the non-PT lumber with PT...the lumber I had reused was from a pool deck the previous homeowner had constructed right before we bought the house (we tore the pool out, and therefore the deck).

We foolishly assumed the PO used the correct materials...after seeing all the issues the PO caused elsewhere, I should have known better.

So, $400 and three days later, the thing is back to safe again...

• Like 1