rear axle

Travis Kenimer

Question

noticed a leak from the rear axle, was just going to replace the axle seal then looked inside the shaft and seen this. its rubbery and its behind the bearing. all the videos and pictures of the bearing dont seem to have this attached, ive looked looked and looked online and cant figure out what it is, kind of looks like it goes down in the axel housing a little maby like a rubber sleve or seal.   Anyone know what this is and what the part number is, i cant find it in any diagrams.

whatisthis.jpg

7 answers to this question

When looking for help with something, a year and model would be a good place to start. It looks like the reluctor ring for the wheel speed sensor came apart.The bearing has to come out and then the reluctor has to be replaced.You need a slide hammer for the bearing and reluctor and a special installer to drive the new reluctor into the tube.Was some one else in there before you? Thats not a common problem with that rearend.Can't give a part number with out the year and model, is it an 8.5, 9.5 ? vin number is always helpful.

Edited by mjm-1957
additional

AcDelco part number is 15286384 and is on ebay for $40.17 with free shipping.The part number for the bearing is AcDelco RW20-10, $41.10 free shipping,Axle seal number is AcDelco 291-315, $11.94 free shipping.

I am pretty sure you could come up with something that will work, We have special tools for everything at work but not always needed, maybe a deep socket or a piece of pipe. You need something that fits the outside diameter of the reluctor and deep enough to drive it into the tube, should be a stop so it cant go in too far, but check for sure when you get the old one out. If not set it in the tube so the teeth line up with the center of the speed sensor hole and you should be good to go.

I just had to replace this due to replacing the wheel bearing and damaging it. I am having issues with ABS and tractions control. Basically the reluctor rings are able to be turned by screwdriver from the sensor hole. I have driven it about 15 miles and it is still the same. How long until the black stuff inside the new reluctor sets on the axle and makes the reluctor turn with the axle? 

HOPING not to have to take everything back apart!!!!!

Edited by JimmyZMack