Motion Activated Bed lighting Electrical Question

Hello all.

I have a 2018 Silverado LT CC standard bed. I Line-X'd the bed and have a soft roll up tonneau cover. It gets dark in there so I added two of these motion activated LED light strips. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Garage-Accessories/Access/A90392.html

They work really well and give plenty of light, however, they run off of 3 AA batteries which only last a few months with the amount i'm in and out of the truck bed. I didn't know if anyone on here may know if it's possible to wire these up to a constant 12V power from the truck, probably the +12v at the trailer hitch. I would imagine this would involve reducing the voltage since 3 AA batteries aren't producing 12V, more like 4.5v at full power. I like the way the lights work with the motion activation.

I know I could directly wire LED light strips into the bed lighting plug but then they would only come on with the cargo lights. These come on once I open the tailgate and shut off after a little while which I like. Anyway, any help is appreciated. If it's not possible that's fine, i'll get some good rechargeable batteries and go that route.

Thanks in advance!

Erich

14 hours ago, E-rich1210 said:

Hello all.

I have a 2018 Silverado LT CC standard bed. I Line-X'd the bed and have a soft roll up tonneau cover. It gets dark in there so I added two of these motion activated LED light strips. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Garage-Accessories/Access/A90392.html

They work really well and give plenty of light, however, they run off of 3 AA batteries which only last a few months with the amount i'm in and out of the truck bed. I didn't know if anyone on here may know if it's possible to wire these up to a constant 12V power from the truck, probably the +12v at the trailer hitch. I would imagine this would involve reducing the voltage since 3 AA batteries aren't producing 12V, more like 4.5v at full power. I like the way the lights work with the motion activation.

I know I could directly wire LED light strips into the bed lighting plug but then they would only come on with the cargo lights. These come on once I open the tailgate and shut off after a little while which I like. Anyway, any help is appreciated. If it's not possible that's fine, i'll get some good rechargeable batteries and go that route.

Thanks in advance!

Erich

Quick and dirty would be to use a box with a cigarette lighter USB adapter. That would reduce 12V to 5V and be easily replaceable. 

4 hours ago, silveradosid said:

on amazon SMAKN Dc/dc Converter 12v Step Down to 5v/3a Power Supply Module

Thank you!!! that should work perfectly. Don't know why I didn't just search Amazon to start with...