'98 Express 5.7 flooding out due to humidity?

Today I got in my 98 1500 Express 5.7 liter to start it. The last time I drove this van last Saturday and it was running fine that day and up until I shut the ignition off. It was even pouring down rain that day like it has been.

The engine turned over but the engine would not start. After several attempts to start the van I gave up. I had to go somewhere so my wife and I went in her car.

When I turned the starter over, the engine sounded like it was trying to start but was flooding out. I could smell gas.

The one thing I noticed was the entire engine was covered in condensate where it's been raining and extremely humid. My thought was due to this condensate may have been messing with the computer.

When I got home 2 hours later, the engine was dry. I go to start the engine and it seemed to struggle a bit at first like it was doing earlier but idled just fine. I plugged my code reader into the port and the only thing it shows is that pesky bank two O2 sensor error code that has been going on for years.

Off the subject:

The check engine light comes and goes because of that code. Several years ago the engine was dumping fuel into the exhaust because it was misfiring on #7 and #3 cylinders due to a bad rotor button and/or distributor cap. Ever since the ECU is flashing a code telling me the cat converter is bad. Most likely because it was dumping fuel into the exhaust and may have fried the converter. I've tried replacing the O2 sensors and doing the no-foul insert trick. Even a muffler shop checked the converter and said it was working. Gas mileage is still around 9/16 mpg. That's been almost 7 or 8 years ago,

The only thing I can think of is the engine compartment was "wet" from condensation and after it evaporated, it's fine. But it's not like it's not humid where I live anyway.

I was prepared to disconnect the connectors to the ECU and spray them with WD-40 when I got home but whatever happened must have corrected itself.

There is a shield in the engine compartment above the ECU that says "Do not remove" which is suppose to protect the ECU from water getting into the connectors.

Any thoughts on this?

I believe you have to find the problem by eliminating things. 

When was it tuned up last?

New plugs?

New rotor cap. distributor cap?

Plug wires?

The O2 sensor problem should be fixed IMO. Could be causing a rich condition which is the default to prevent a lean condition.

A motor properly maintained will not be affected by high humidity.

I rinse my motors off after spraying them with a cleaner and have never had a no start.

Good  Luck 

:)

Edited by diyer2