How To Test Batteries/ Battery Info

diyer2

I believe the batteries in today's modern vehicles are way more important than years ago. Today's computer controlled vehicles are more sensitive to voltage fluctuations, especially low voltage IMO.

A good battery is essential to keep voltages within the designed voltage range so the electronics perform as engineered. All solid state electronics have a designed operating voltage range.

A good battery is cheap insurance to have a properly running, reliable starting vehicle.

Those of you that know me have seen my posts about replacing my batteries every 4 years to avoid dead batteries. Not only does this avoid a vehicle failing to start but it also ensures proper voltages for the electronics.

This web site has a lot of info if you want to learn about batteries.

https://www.autobatteries.com/en-us/battery-testing-and-maintenance/car-battery-voltage-and-testing

I have had a solar powered  second home for 20 years and the batteries are the heart of the system. 

To properly check the charge of a wet cell lead acid battery(you add water to these type) you should check the specific gravity using a temperature compensated hydrometer like this. 

This instrument is the best way to test the charge status of a wet cell battery IMO.

4c85532cb2f166ae7d84a951868afb6a?AccessKeyId=076BE662D6DB3268D410&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

This instrument can find bad cells in a battery.

Available here https://www.bradyinstruments.com/wall-mount-system.html

:)

• Like 1