2010 silverado intermittent gauge/warning light malfunction

trucktoy

Question

I am brand new to this site, but my neighbor has a 2010 Suburban that just started doing the same thing a couple a weeks ago. Has had it to the dealer a dozen times, they can't find anything. Wondering if this 2010 Silverado ever got fixed, thanks for the help

Old post:

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 LTZ with intermittent instrument cluster issues. Under normal driving, all of the gauges drop to zero and all of the warning lights come on (Service Air Bag, Service 4 Wheel Drive, Service Trailer Brake System, Park Assist Off). During a recent drive, this had occurred multiple times within 5 minutes going from fully functional to not. The climate control system also locks up and radio shuts down during the failure. When the gauges resume working, the radio comes back on, but the climate control sill not work until the truck is turned off and back on

4 answers to this question

Sounds like you've got an intermittent in the communication lines (high or low speed CAN bus - not sure which without seeing a wiring diagram). That'll be a fun one to diag..  

I'm still learning all this crap myself. Fine idea putting computers in automobiles ... and then they have to run communication lines to link 10 or more magic boxes together. I'll tell ya ... :mad:

Edited by Jsdirt

Get a good scan tool and monitor ignition 1 voltage while driving. The ignition switches are a common failure on those vehicles,we use to change one or two a week. If the voltage drops off or is less than charging voltage when running you have an issue. Easy and cheap place to start.Don't use bootleg junk aftermarket switches or you could be installing a future problem for yourself down the road.