Shock Install

Hi. Planning on installing a set of Bilstein 5100's on truck. I'm pretty handy. Looks pretty straight forward. Looks like I don't even have to jack truck up. Any tips or tricks greatly appreciated. I have searched but haven't found much in regard to the newer generation hd's. Thanks. Bob

Save the hardware, instal the top first so you are pushing up to collapse the shock if nitro charged as they will open up once the band us cut, I would not cut the band until the top is mounted or they will be constantly trying to push up.  It's a lot easier to mount the front with the tire off but not a must. You may want to instal spacers now if you plan on cranking the torsion bars to level it, they are 1/2 inch pucks that instal at the top of the front shock, 4 are needed.  Make sure everything is tight.  Should be an easy job if the fasteners are not rusted bad.  Maybe have some new ones for the top on hand but the bottoms are usually fine.

2 hours ago, MotionMan said:

Save the hardware, instal the top first so you are pushing up to collapse the shock if nitro charged as they will open up once the band us cut, I would not cut the band until the top is mounted or they will be constantly trying to push up.  It's a lot easier to mount the front with the tire off but not a must. You may want to instal spacers now if you plan on cranking the torsion bars to level it, they are 1/2 inch pucks that instal at the top of the front shock, 4 are needed.  Make sure everything is tight.  Should be an easy job if the fasteners are not rusted bad.  Maybe have some new ones for the top on hand but the bottoms are usually fine.

Thank you. Torsion bars already adjusted to about an inch. That is why I am replacing with 0-1.5" bilstein 5100s. I assume those will negate the need for spacers. Thanks again. Bob

Spacers are still required with the Bilsteins as they are the same length as stock even though they specify the fit with leveled. They are easy to install, easy enough I did them on the ground quicker than if I spent the time to even get the truck on the lift. 

20181214_062936.jpg

Interesting, I would have thought you didn't need them too based on the advertised extra length, the picture tells it all, I hope you saw this before you installed them. I Added them to my stock shocks but I wouldn't have if I bought the Bilsteins, especially since it said I wouldn't need them.  Thanks for the info, I am about ready for new shocks and these were the ones I was thinking of, I most likely wouldn't have put them back on,, now I know better.  Im thinking of adding new upper control arms so I can get another inch or so and not eat my ball joints up, i put new keys in, spacers and cranked the TBs up but I want a little more, as it sits now I get a little knocking when I'm on the dunes at Silver Lake, its not bad but if I tried to get another inch I'm sure they would hit pretty hard, I would add the diffy spacers to keep the axle angles correct also.....then more more more...it never ends, I always seem to want more lift once I get started and when you go to Silver Lake as often as I do you really feel small next to all the lifted trucks.?  like these...mine is the GMC, the Fords have 8"s of lift.

IMG_1333.JPG

What are people using for spacers? I have seen the small metal washer style ones that mount at the top and then the brackets for the bottom.

Thinking the washer style on the top will be the most robust? I have a 2016 2500hd with stock keys turned up about 1.5" and bilstein 5100 which currently limit the drop. 

23 hours ago, GTBensley said:

What are people using for spacers? I have seen the small metal washer style ones that mount at the top and then the brackets for the bottom.

Thinking the washer style on the top will be the most robust? I have a 2016 2500hd with stock keys turned up about 1.5" and bilstein 5100 which currently limit the drop. 

I have a new in pack set of the front shock ext. if your interested.  will let them go for $15.00 shipped

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.cf91593edef6763580f3b6a5dbc12a64.jpg5aae69316401d_shockext.thumb.jpg.0a64c5be5dfe0a1aacf5a5f4f38c1c41.jpg

Edited by Targa1us