Brake Monitor in DIC

There is a technical bulletin 19-NA-191 that covers this issue, but the latest software update (reflashing the  ECBM) performed under the following recall should solve the problem:

• GM Recall #:
  • N192268090
  • NHTSA #
  • 19V889
  • Date Issued:
  • Dec 12, 2019

Just make sure the dealership resets the brake life indicator to 100%. My truck had almost 15K miles on it and the dealership just performed today. However, if this is in fact an algorithm and not actually sensors then I’m afraid this is just a bandaid for a useless feature. Ultimately and fortunately the brake pads have the age old wear indicators that will squeal when the pads get too worn, but it’s still nice to see the DIC not telling me I have only 14% pad life left after 14K miles, even if it really means nothing because this is a ridiculously useless feature. I’d rather have the sunglasses compartment by the map lights (that couldn’t hold anything larger than a pair of aviators) than this stupid brake life indicator. Lol

• 4 years later...
On 4/6/2019 at 9:37 PM, lebag335 said:

I’ve had my Trail Boss LT for 2 weeks now. The brake monitor in the DIC says my front brakes are down to 86%. It was 100% when I took delivery. Zero hard stopping on my part. Do the brakes on this new truck wear down that quickly? At this rate the monitor will tell me I need new brakes in 7 months! Anyone else have a similar experience??

I’ve had my 2021 TrailBoss since it was new.   I have 18.3k miles on it and I got the rear brake pads warning. I’m just over my Bumper to Bumper warranty.  I’m guessing they’ll be telling me I need to pay for the repairs.