Buying Used Vehicles Works for Me

When I started driving over 50 years ago my Dad told me a vehicle will be the worst investment of your life. True statement IMO, more so today.

The threads on this forum have many opinions but we do things the way we believe in. The great thing about on line forums is being able to learn and get help with your problem from the vast knowledge available.

Maybe my way of doing things could be beneficial to someone. The reason for this thread.

I have never owned a new vehicle even though I can afford it. They don’t make a vehicle over $30 K new or used worth that to me. That’s my opinion.

We all know there are problems with some of the new ones and buying used doesn’t protect you from getting a bad one either.

Having a warranty seems to be important to many. A warranty to me is only as good as the service provided and the quality of the work done. Lots of stories of poor service and poor quality work. I do my own repairs and maintenance.

I buy used, 4  to 5 years old with about 40 K miles on them and pay cash. No concerns about rebates, incentives, interest rates etc. They are discounted because of the depreciation.

I check them out thoroughly with extended road tests. The under-carriage is inspected for leaks, visible damage. I look for signs of body repairs, over spray, and misaligned body panels.

I remove the oil fill cap and look into the valve cover or fill tube with a good flashlight looking for signs of sludge.

Tires, batteries, belts, plug wires and overall condition. I won’t buy a modified vehicle, red flag to me.

I never buy on my first visit to a dealer. I buy on the 2nd or 3rd visit taking the chance it may be sold. I try to finalize the deal on the last Saturday of the month. I had 3 friends years ago and 1 current friend in car sales. They say this tactic can help if the dealer needs to meet sales quotas for the month they may deal more.

The reduced cost of plates, taxes and insurance on used compared to new appeals to me.

I do good maintenance with off the shelf fluids. First I do three 1 K mile oil and filter changes. Then I do 3 K mile oil and filter changes. Change all the fluids ASAP. The fluids are changed thereafter using the severe duty mileage in the owner’s manual. Transfer case serviced every summer. Easy to do, small amount of fluid.

I have not had an engine or transmission fail. I keep my vehicles a long time. 

This system works for me just like everyone else stands by their way of doing things.

Same inspection process when buying form a private party of course.

Buying used vehicles is not for everyone. I get that. But it is an alternative choice if done correctly IMO.

:)

• Thanks 1

I have bought exactly two brand spanking new cars. One a Scion that was used 125 miles on it and traded it for  Pepper used 1300 miles on her about a month later. Demo's have more miles than these last two. Only one of the two new turned out to be a good car. The other not so much. 

I've bought older used that looked to be in good condition and yet were pretty poor cars. One was a real money pit the other I made some money on. I've bought from friends a family as I believed I knew their history. Not so much. 

Then a few years ago I started buying two year old with 20K or less on the clock. Executive lease and program cars. One Estate car, older, very low miles. All have been great cars so.....that is the plan for the future. Truth be told, they are all money pits.

I look for rides that are under $25 K TOPS and yes you can buy some really nice stuff for that price IF NEW isn't a priority.  

Not counting work vehicles we’ve bought very few new for personal use. They are either discounted CPO or future classics. Our 94 impala was lightly used and traded years later to a Chevy dealer for a new camaro. So I got two for one on that. Another 2001 Acura intagra type R has double the purchase price so far. The rest were kept a long time handed to family members or some we still have. Good thing for Haggerty and cheap auto insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1