New to me 2016 Silverado WT - No key Fob

Hi all. I just started a new job and was given a 2016 Silverado WT as my company vehicle. I was not given a key fob with the truck, just a key. I am curious if it's possible to buy a GM key fob and program it to this vehicle. How would I go about finding this out?

The truck is equipped with power door locks. But other than that it's a pretty basic WT package. Manual windows. Manual mirrors. Manual seats. However, it does have TPMS sensors, which I read somewhere indicates that a Key Fob can be programmed.

Any help and insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by fondupot

Just went through the same thing at my work as well. Contacted dealer, provided VIN, was told cannot add GM key fob based on trim level.

In the end we added an aftermarket one. Which seems stupid to have to do when the vehicle already has power locks, but it later what got us a fob so we are ok with that [emoji1303]

• Like 1

I had this on my last truck (2015). The dealer I bought it from put an aftermarket in, and I hated it. I wound up calling all over Houston and a dealer finally put the factory ones in. I think when I called I had to say that I just needed to reprogram a new remote (like I lost it) instead of “adding” it. The hardware is in the truck, they just don’t work with enough of the WTs, I guess.

Called a local dealer this morning and they ran the vin. They said the truck was originally equipped with a key fob. So that means all I need to do is buy one and have it programmed. Easy peasy.

Ordered a fob on Amazon for $20, had it programmed this morning for $60 at a local locksmith. Works great. $80 well spent on a little creature comfort.

For reference the dealership wanted nearly $300 for the fob and programming. NOOOPE