Transmission question

Went to drive the truck for the first time as I just bought it a d noticed it will not shift out of first. It's a 95 4l60e 4x4. I have a rebuilt 4l60e but it's a 2wd. I have no use for the 4wd feature so could I just pop in the 2wd transmission and just remove the front drive shaft? And will the rear drive shaft fit just fine?

• 3 weeks later...

still has a shift issue. i can manual up shift from first into second, however when i up shift into 3rd it stays in second, i have a rebuilt 700r4 with 15k on it and the tv cable. its a 2 wheel drive, can i just drop the 4l60e and install the 700r4 and use the 2wd drive shaft or can i put a 4x4 700r4 in it and use my existing driveshaft?

To use the 700r,...I know it has a t.v.cable, and a 4L60 doesn't. That cable has to be adjusted properly or it will burn the transmission up quick!...so you'd have to rig up something to go onto your throttle cable bracket at the....ahhh....flapper deal. (Yall know what I'm talking about)....as far as driveshaft lengths,...idk, but it's not to expensive to have one shortened, or lengthen I believe.