seems the drivers side power running board sometime works when opening the door, but sometime while standing on it,

the damn =thing will stow itself, forcing my feet to slide off the step, other times it will extend and re-track before I swing one leg

out when getting out of the truck.  IS there some switch or sensor that uses the opening of a door to activate these steps?

anyone else having these issues?

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also experiencing this on a '17 Sierra Denali with ~33k miles.  I took it to a dealership last week to get them to take a look at it.  They didn't seem to have much interest in dealing with it, but also advised me that these running boards and their components are on back order due to COVID-19.

In the meantime, I have started to try to locate some of the individual parts to try and resolve this myself.  I haven't made much progress on that front.  At least on mine, it seems like the motor is weak for the Drivers side board.  It extends slowly, makes a 'rubber on rubber' squeaking sound while it is in motion.  Passenger side extends quickly.  This doesn't help with getting out of the truck, but getting into the truck, I have noticed that if I help the board extend by putting my foot under it and pull when I open the door, it extends just fine and remains extended as it should.  Similarly when I extend to the bed.

I took a photo of the motor for the part numbers, but my searches haven't come up with anything.  Here's an image of it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/E13uPgdav4bwsJRE8

Here is also a video showing the extend-retract issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BgZFMmbcJvuuP5Hr6

Edit: Ah, I see this was a necro thread.  Sorry for piling on.  Still relevant information, since I have not been able to find much at all on this topic.

Edited by Superdawg
Sorry for thread necro.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I ended up replacing the motor on mine, which cost ~$500, which I think was very close to it's end. While I had the steps apart, it turned out that the rear support arm bushing at the step seemed seized up to me. I added a bunch of lithium grease to it and worked it in to help improve the ease of movement. It was extremely hard to move by hand at the beginning. Until the arm gets replaced (the bushing does not appear to be a separate piece), I think that I will need to continue to hit it with grease on occasion to keep it from burning out the motor.

The whole assembly, on the other hand, is on back-order with no end in sight. There are only ~20 across the country for them to try and sell back to fill potential orders that come in. So I hope that others that encounter this problem don't need the entire assembly, because you're probably better off just replacing them with some non-OEM boards.

The part number that I was given for the driver's side step motor is 84407156.

• 4 months later...
On 6/15/2020 at 1:41 PM, Superdawg said:

I am also experiencing this on a '17 Sierra Denali with ~33k miles.  I took it to a dealership last week to get them to take a look at it.  They didn't seem to have much interest in dealing with it, but also advised me that these running boards and their components are on back order due to COVID-19.

In the meantime, I have started to try to locate some of the individual parts to try and resolve this myself.  I haven't made much progress on that front.  At least on mine, it seems like the motor is weak for the Drivers side board.  It extends slowly, makes a 'rubber on rubber' squeaking sound while it is in motion.  Passenger side extends quickly.  This doesn't help with getting out of the truck, but getting into the truck, I have noticed that if I help the board extend by putting my foot under it and pull when I open the door, it extends just fine and remains extended as it should.  Similarly when I extend to the bed.

I took a photo of the motor for the part numbers, but my searches haven't come up with anything.  Here's an image of it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/E13uPgdav4bwsJRE8

Here is also a video showing the extend-retract issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BgZFMmbcJvuuP5Hr6

Edit: Ah, I see this was a necro thread.  Sorry for piling on.  Still relevant information, since I have not been able to find much at all on this topic.

Ok, my truck is doing the same exact thing yours is, mine is a 2018 Silverado. Had any luck figuring out what’s causing this? 

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to be a broken record on here regarding these side steps. The dealerships brush you off like GMC would because they know its a problem and would cost to much to recall. We all rely on these steps and when it goes out and retracts as I step down on it and it causes me to fall its not a safe foothold I can trust. This is just another case of substandard parts installed to save money and GM should be recalling them to keep us safe. My 2017 Silverado has the same issue and this is not a cheap affair to fix, only to happen again in a few years, no doubt.

On 3/10/2021 at 8:26 AM, shawn griffith said:

I had the same problem with my 2017 Sierra Denali power running board on the passenger side opening and going to the rear tire on its own.
I was able to reset it by removing the fuse under the hood and that fixed it. 

Have the same problem, passenger side running board randomly and frequently extends to the rear of the truck. Tried pulling the fuse (#74) under the hood but still no luck, wondering if anyone has found the solution to this. 

Did you pull the fuse and start the truck/few start cycles, before putting it back in?

Thanks,

On 3/21/2021 at 11:46 AM, Smileswithadimple said:

Have the same problem, passenger side running board randomly and frequently extends to the rear of the truck. Tried pulling the fuse (#74) under the hood but still no luck, wondering if anyone has found the solution to this. 

Did you pull the fuse and start the truck/few start cycles, before putting it back in?

Thanks,

Pulling the fuse seemed to help mine settle down a little bit, but didn't fix my issue...  Mine went absolutely bezerk one night, constantly extending / retracting until i pulled the fuse.  it still kicks out on it's own, but usually stays out (or goes in/out a couple times, then stops).  The button to extend it to the tire also quit working... that was the first issue i had, then about 6 mo later, it developed a mind of it's own.