Steering Wheel Controls for 19 Trail Boss Custom

Hi All,

Other than the console lid, the only other item missing on the custom trim level is the radio control on the steering wheel. What I did was find a 19 RST trim level with the vinyl steering wheel and the radio controls  on the dealer lot and ordered that complete steering wheel borrowing the VIN ($165.00) What I'm not sure of: Is the correct wiring in the column? is the clockspring the same as the RST? and will I need to have the dealer update the BCM with the sales code for the radio controls. This is a trial and error on my part and I will let everyone know how it turns out. I did not order a leather wrapped wheel due to all other trim levels had the heated option and I didn't think the wiring would be in the column for that. Additionally, I do know the clusters are different on the RST and the Custom and the steering wheel does have the ability to scroll through the DIC menu on the RST and above trim levels so we will see what happens.

If anyone has tried this let us know here. Thanks in advance for the help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will post the part number when the steering wheel comes in. There were 2 different part numbers available for the VIN I used, so I ordered the more expensive option. Should be in next week.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 7:27 AM, jeff00454 said:

Hi All,

Other than the console lid, the only other item missing on the custom trim level is the radio control on the steering wheel. What I did was find a 19 RST trim level with the vinyl steering wheel and the radio controls  on the dealer lot and ordered that complete steering wheel borrowing the VIN ($165.00) What I'm not sure of: Is the correct wiring in the column? is the clockspring the same as the RST? and will I need to have the dealer update the BCM with the sales code for the radio controls. This is a trial and error on my part and I will let everyone know how it turns out. I did not order a leather wrapped wheel due to all other trim levels had the heated option and I didn't think the wiring would be in the column for that. Additionally, I do know the clusters are different on the RST and the Custom and the steering wheel does have the ability to scroll through the DIC menu on the RST and above trim levels so we will see what happens.

If anyone has tried this let us know here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Please let us know how this goes. I’m wanting to do the exact same thing.   Gotta have them audio controls closer lol 

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay, after a lot of research I discovered the UK3 steering wheel controls will not work on a custom trim level. The biggest reason is the communication wiring(CAN-BUS) lines are not installed in the custom trim level. Additionally, if you did run the wiring, you would need to upgrade the radio to IOS or IOT, the clockspring, the steering wheel, and an LT or RST cluster at minimum, in all It would be cheaper to trade for an upgraded trim level not to mention the warranty issues that can arise. If someone has other ideas feel free to respond.  

• Sad 1

I wonder if WAMS (www.whiteautoandmedia.com) can flash the computer where we don’t need to change cluster or radio. So then all we’d need to do is run the wiring and swap the steering wheel and clock spring.

I sent them (WAMS) a couple emails on the Denali upgrade, they are willing to try it on the lower trim levels, however if you read about the cluster upgrade on their website the correct wiring and proper RPO radio module are not installed in the custom trim(need IOS or IOT, I have IOR). The bottom line for me is cost,  I usually trade every year and would never get anymore money for a custom trim. Like I always tell my kids: "If you want Palm Beach, go to Palm Beach". I really like the truck and just could not justify 10K more for the LT Trail Boss, so I upgraded the headlights to LED and the center console per the threads on this forum. I will just have to press the touch screen to adjust the radio stations and for 10K I can live with that.

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, GCBC said:

Can I put a 2020 LTZ wheel on a 19 TB custom? Don care that the extra buttons won’t work just want the leather wheel. Would like the cruise to work tho

No one seems to be able to answer this question. I tried getting my dealer to find out what I need, but they are so busy they don't want to be bothered.