2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 rear end clunk!

I bought a 2019 silverado 1500 in February of 2019, theres right around 5 thousand miles on it.  Recently I have noticed a loud thumping sound in the rear end like a clunk sound when driving down alleys or uneven roads. I hear it when I back out of my driveway or pull into my yard. It sounds like a bowling ball is rolling around in my bed.  Anyways I took it to the dealership where I purchased it. They heard the sound and said there is a protocol that they have to follow.. first they clean the debris out of the leaf springs and grease them up real well. If the sound comes back which I know it will the next step is to replace the leaf springs.. Now from what I'm told and read that probably wont fix the issue either. I'm told it's just a poor design. What am I supposed to do? I'm making a big payment on a brand new truck and it sounds terrible. Why should I or anyone have to deal with this? Help me out someone!! Thanks!!

Edited by Ryan123
Change a word

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realise this was the HD forum. But I'm sure theres alot of knowledge on here HD or not someone will have an idea! GM is currently working on a bulletin to repair it. There saying it's the leaf springs making the sound! The answer I'm getting is it's a poor design.. who knows! It's a 2019 new body style 1500 

• 4 months later...

I just started having this same problem on my 19 trail boss Silverado. And I wouldn’t drive it I had it towed to dealer I only have 19000kms on it and they told me it’s normal I took videos and documented everything. In mine it feels like something to do with the automatic rear locker.

Edited by Hoftyzerk7
Forgot a part

• 1 month later...

Hey Ryan my names Nick.  I have a 2019 Silverado I purchased used.  We just heard this same noise last night while backing out of driveway and turning out of neighborhood.  Initially we thought the kids left a ball or something in bed of truck and it was rolling around.  Did the GM dealer you brought it too give you a bulletin number or anything?

• 7 months later...

I am currently dealing with this issue on my 19 Silverado LD with 13,600 miles on it and it’s been in and out of service for the last three weeks. Leaf springs replaced twice and the rubber bushings installed, still having the issue. Got told by the dealership they won’t keep guessing what the problem is and throwing parts at it and that’s it’s a normal noise and it’s a truck that their all noisy. 

I have a 2019 Silverado LT Trail Boss - about 24K miles and hearing similar sounds; only at low speeds, in and out of driveway, etc.  Haven't taken it to dealer for this sound yet, but checking suspension components and mine seems to be the spare tire making the noise.  When under the truck and pushing up on the spare tire, hearing similar/same noise...

• 1 month later...

I experienced the same noise. Had it in and out of the dealership several times. Picked it up today with a spacer inserted into the back of the leaf springs. See photo. Dealer says that this eliminated the noise. Chevy says that it's a known problem with the Colorado. I have a Silverado 1500 - 2018. 

92LlhSxrQBOiwXJJoG%ICQ.jpg

F4r57tz3RB+WLP388Wg4fA.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but my 2019 does the same thing. I had a 2017 that was doing the same thing, and actually fixed it before it was totaled out. What is happening is the leaf springs are shifting from left to right and causing the noises. My 2017 did not have the little brackets with rubber on them on the end of the lower spring, but my 2019 did, so I figured that it would not be an issue...but it is.

My fix was that I put two long U-bolts on both sides of the axle on the leaf springs. I didn't put a whole lot of tension on the bolts, just enough so that they wouldn't back out and still allow them to flex. This completely eliminated the problem and it was a pretty simple fix. I wish I had a picture to show but I guess I never took one.

So, if you are really wanting to get rid of the clunk, it is a fairly simple $30 fix. Might have to do it on my 2019 now also.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, Chief 1523 said:

I experienced the same noise. Had it in and out of the dealership several times. Picked it up today with a spacer inserted into the back of the leaf springs. See photo. Dealer says that this eliminated the noise. Chevy says that it's a known problem with the Colorado. I have a Silverado 1500 - 2018. 

92LlhSxrQBOiwXJJoG%ICQ.jpg

F4r57tz3RB+WLP388Wg4fA.jpg

I had the same issue on my 2019 LD. This "repair" is what my dealer did and it fixed mine. No clunk now. I am concerned they seem to have removed the rear spring clip. Otherwise I'm happy.