What is going on here?

I’ve got a set of P-rated Duratrac tires now with ~25k miles on them.  About 5k miles ago, I noticed some feathering/cupping wear on the inside edge of the front tires.  I had the dealership inspect it, and they were able to adjust the toe to within spec.  (One specifically was out more than the other).  

Fast forward to now, 5k miles later, and I’m noticing feathering/cupping on the outside of the front tires.  Tires in the back seem to wear flat.  I rotate them every 5k.  What is going on?

Cupping is frequently caused by weak shocks/struts. I had a car that had chronic cupping problems. Had it aligned, tires rotated, etc. None of those things helped. New shocks all around and new tires solved the problem. You might want to check the shocks as part of your investigation.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, royalkangaroo said:

Dealership claimed no suspension issues between shocks and ball joints.  Told me that’s the nature of an aggressive tire, uneven wear.  I’m going to get a second opinion.

Dealer is full of crap and too lazy to diagnose and find the problem. 

GM wouldn't install Duratracs as factory original tires if they had a built-in wear problem. 

Uneven wear is caused by an alignment or suspension problem, not the tread design.  Doesn't make any difference if the tire is a racing slick, a highway tire on a car, or an off-road all terrain truck tire.