Torque converter

Took my 15 2500 gasser w/51K miles in to dealership to get transmission fluid/filter changed two months/700 miles ago. 

This past weekend driving and get check engine light, feel the transmission acting up scroll through to find transmission temp is 250. 

Took it back to dealership and diagnosed as bad torque converter. 

I am second owner and bought truck with 32K miles. I haven’t towed since owning. 

Just seems a little premature mature for a torque converter to go bad. 

Could be for some.  One thing I always do to reduce any potential for issues is change all the drive train fluids before 10,000 miles.  I did my 2500 gasser at that time, just like the 2013 1500 before it and the '98 2500 before that, and on and on back in time..  When one looks at the break in wear metals on the magnetic plugs, they realize why I do such things.   Get those fluids with all those break in wear metals out of there and get some fresh fluid in teh transfer, diffs and transmission.  Those break in metals will really attack a transmission.  Changing fluids early is not a guarantee that nothing will happen, but in almost a half century of vehicles, I have never lost a transmission, transfer, or differential.  And living rural, dealing with some interesting gravel roads and work on the property along with pushing snow in winter and towing,, I don't baby anything.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 3:31 PM, stadt11 said:

My torque converter went out recently at 45k

Wow - 45k miles.  That is definitely on the low end of life expectancy.

10 hours ago, paauto said:

Wow - 45k miles.  That is definitely on the low end of life expectancy.

Yeah I was bummed too, but glad it went out before powertrain warranty expired.  I noticed it wouldn't shift out of 4th one morning driving to work, pulled over, shut off truck, and then continued on way to work as it shifted normal.  Drove home just fine in afternoon.  Next morning, same thing, but this time wouldn't go past 3rd.  Took it right to dealer, they didn't say cause of the failure.