NHT shocks vs. 5100’s

I read through about every Bilstein thread on here and the other Silverado/Sierra forum and couldn’t find anything definitive where folks described the difference in feel from NHT (max tow package shocks) vs. 5100’s. Most were about the stock or ranchos that everyone seems to dislike. 

Im pretty happy with what I have now and they do not show signs of leaking or failing yet (25k). I do have some vertical and side-to-side oscillations as well as the bobble head feel that I would like to reduce if possible. 

Anyone switch out the NHT shocks for 5100? Feedback? 

(2018 CC standard bed, Max tow, 6.2l)

I replaced my rear nht shocks around 32k. Prior to replacing the truck was hopping on harder bumps in the road. It definitely feels a lot better and the rear doesn't hop like it did before. I only had them on 3 days before I installed a roadmaster active suspension for towing so my experience with just the shocks is limited. I do know that I could compress the factory shock with my hands so I'm not sure what it was doing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I replaced my rear nht shocks around 32k. Prior to replacing the truck was hopping on harder bumps in the road. It definitely feels a lot better and the rear doesn't hop like it did before. I only had them on 3 days before I installed a roadmaster active suspension for towing so my experience with just the shocks is limited. I do know that I could compress the factory shock with my hands so I'm not sure what it was doing.

Of course you can compress them by hand. They're only dampers, not springs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Of course you can compress them by hand. They're only dampers, not springs.

Let me clarify, I could compress them with little resistance. The bilstein had a lot more resistance, could be because it was new or better. Either way it stopped the rear from hopping.

Bilsteins will certainly stiffen the ride. You'll have less "absorption" of shock. It will handle more firmly on turns, but you will feel the road more. If you're an aggressive driver, this is a good thing. Just go slow for potholes or speed bumps.

I used to love the Bilstein 5100 in my 2014 Double Cab LT. My family had other thoughts, it rattled their teeth loose and they hated it.

We have a Z85 2017 CC now that gently bobs up and down and feels more gentle. It does not corner as well, but, hey. My sports car days are over until I'm in my 50s.

18 hours ago, ray2005 said:

Let me clarify, I could compress them with little resistance. The bilstein had a lot more resistance, could be because it was new or better. Either way it stopped the rear from hopping.

That's because the Bilstein's are a different type of shock and have a high nitrogen charge.  Stocks are not.  

I have the 5100s.  They're ok.  

11 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Bilsteins will certainly stiffen the ride. You'll have less "absorption" of shock. It will handle more firmly on turns, but you will feel the road more. If you're an aggressive driver, this is a good thing. Just go slow for potholes or speed bumps.

I used to love the Bilstein 5100 in my 2014 Double Cab LT. My family had other thoughts, it rattled their teeth loose and they hated it.

We have a Z85 2017 CC now that gently bobs up and down and feels more gentle. It does not corner as well, but, hey. My sports car days are over until I'm in my 50s.

I am hoping it helps eliminate the rolling oscillations. I don't want a much stiffer ride but the bobble head and loose feeling is less than ideal. I am a SLOW driver in the truck because it just handles poorly and braking and traction are not designed for racing around. It's utilitarian at best. 

I ordered the 5100's on Amazon and will give them a shot. I could have saved a few bucks had I waited a few weeks but I wanted to get this done while the weather was good and I had time available before going to Moab. 

80% of folks like the 5100, the others I think had high expectations that it didn't meet. I am hoping for at least a marginal improvement so I can say it was worth the cost. I really wanted the 6112/5160 but can't justify 3x the cost for a truck that doesn't see off road--nor would it be good for trails.