Oil cooler, anyone add one

Looking into adding an after market engine oil cooler for towing reasons, 

i have had oil temperature up to 240 and it stays there. Looking to keep it just above 200. 

Curious to see if anyone has done it, if so what cooler and sandwich plates were used. Thanks 

I think you might start with a trans cooler. Mishimoto makes a direct bolt on. You could also go with a slightly cooler thermostat and a more aggressive fan profile in the programming.

I’m assuming your engine heat is directly related to your trans heat while towing. You should set your DIC to trans temp and log it, so you have a reference.

8 hours ago, Darksky said:

I think you might start with a trans cooler. Mishimoto makes a direct bolt on. You could also go with a slightly cooler thermostat and a more aggressive fan profile in the programming.

I’m assuming your engine heat is directly related to your trans heat while towing. You should set your DIC to trans temp and log it, so you have a reference.

I already  have the mishimoto trans cooler and a 180 thermostat, I haven’t installed them I was waiting to see if I should get a small engine oil cooler while I have everything apart for the installation. 

I set my fans to come on really early and it dropped coolant temperature to about 200 under normal use. Problem is I don’t want my fans working that hard for fear of them failing prematurely. I’ve never had my trans go over 200 but oil temp holds238-240 towing heavy.  

I think you should install what you’ve got on hand. If you’re really still worried, there are larger radiators. Mishimoto makes high end rads as well. I think that you may want to look at your weather and consider if a 180 is too cool for winter.you don’t want to get stuck in a warm up loop either.

*i don’t know if Dan wear is an issue. I don’t know anyone who had theirs fail. I’ve not read of “premature “ wear either. But I am not sure.

Edited by Darksky

14 minutes ago, Darksky said:

I think you should install what you’ve got on hand. If you’re really still worried, there are larger radiators. Mishimoto makes high end rads as well. I think that you may want to look at your weather and consider if a 180 is too cool for winter.you don’t want to get stuck in a warm up loop either.

*i don’t know if Dan wear is an issue. I don’t know anyone who had theirs fail. I’ve not read of “premature “ wear either. But I am not sure.

I don’t drive it much if any in the winter, And it has the active shutter, I feel as it won’t have an issue warming up. Once I have the 180 installed I plan on turning the fans down so the come on slower.  I just worry about the engine oil temp. I feel 240 is to much. Great In put I appreciate the responses darksky 

I don’t drive it much if any in the winter, And it has the active shutter, I feel as it won’t have an issue warming up. Once I have the 180 installed I plan on turning the fans down so the come on slower.  I just worry about the engine oil temp. I feel 240 is to much. Great In put I appreciate the responses darksky 

I’d recommend Darksky’s first, install what you’ve got and go from there. I agree, 240 is a big high. Make sure, especially when towing, to use high end motor oil, if you’ve got a lot of miles I’d recommend flushing the radiator too. Step by step ensures you’ll know what you did that helped fix the issue. Btw, if you tow a lot, I highly recommend Amsoil Signature Series and changing out your rear and front (4x4 only) Diff fluid as well as your transfer case fluid too. I did a Transmission flush and it lowered my trans temp about 15-20 degrees while in the hot stick Texas temps. Adding additional cooling doesn’t fix the problem, just puts a bandaid over it, high mileage old fluids breakdown is one of the major issues of over heating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Especially at that heat level. But, I’m pretty fastidious about fresh fluids.

id hold off a bit on turning the fans down. Do you know of electric fans wearing out prematurely? That’s new to me.

Edited by Darksky

23 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I’d recommend Darksky’s first, install what you’ve got and go from there. I agree, 240 is a big high. Make sure, especially when towing, to use high end motor oil, if you’ve got a lot of miles I’d recommend flushing the radiator too. Step by step ensures you’ll know what you did that helped fix the issue. Btw, if you tow a lot, I highly recommend Amsoil Signature Series and changing out your rear and front (4x4 only) Diff fluid as well as your transfer case fluid too. I did a Transmission flush and it lowered my trans temp about 15-20 degrees while in the hot stick Texas temps. Adding additional cooling doesn’t fix the problem, just puts a bandaid over it, high mileage old fluids breakdown is one of the major issues of over heating.

I run Amsoil signature series 5/30 and change it every 3-3500 with oil samples from two separate companies. I do plan on swapping out the diff and t case fluid soon it’s about to turn 30k. I just want the best cooling capabilities I can have with out being stupid overkill. I plan on doing the thermostat and trans cooler  this weekend, any suggestions on coolant type? Or additives 

I run Amsoil signature series 5/30 and change it every 3-3500 with oil samples from two separate companies. I do plan on swapping out the diff and t case fluid soon it’s about to turn 30k. I just want the best cooling capabilities I can have with out being stupid overkill. I plan on doing the thermostat and trans cooler  this weekend, any suggestions on coolant type? Or additives 

That’s awesome on the Amsoil, I only use what’s recommended by GM, believe it’s Dex Cool.

I only call my off-road servicing shop and inform them what I was looking for. NEVER Ever do what one ( and “some” idiots on forums say without research) shop says unless you completely 100% trust them. I once installed $5k worth of towing upgrades on my DMax which was highly recommended only to slightly make a difference. I even went as far as buying that auto hitch and even added $6k in upgrading my 5th wheel trailers wheels and tires along with upgrade suspension parts and new smoother king pin, happiest day of ownership was when I sold it and even gave a custom lifted golf cart along with it. Be careful what you put into it, you may just regret it.