AAM finned differential cover

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, Chevyfan3 said:

Anyone on here use one of these aam 74030017 diff covers? They list up to 2014 for Silverado but not sure if something changed after that?

https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-AAM-Aluminum-Differential-Cover/dp/B01MS6Y5QD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=aam+74030017&qid=1569115866&sr=8-1

This cover looks effective being that its made by AAM so it retains the same fluid trough that the factory cover has, but adds the fins. 

I see everyone in your post mentioning the whole Banks deal with differential covers.  The ones Gale Banks made for rear axles are designed just like the AAM one you are looking at.  An improvement on the factory cover in terms of cooling performance while maintaining the axle manufacturer's splash lubrication design.  

Banks videos below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yG3D3JBRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PMvVcsU3PE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09JsDorR6tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4DQ-jzKQRw

Take note of the potential issues with "larger capacity" covers. 

This cover looks effective being that its made by AAM so it retains the same fluid trough that the factory cover has, but adds the fins. 

I see everyone in your post mentioning the whole Banks deal with differential covers.  The ones Gale Banks made for rear axles are designed just like the AAM one you are looking at.  An improvement on the factory cover in terms of cooling performance while maintaining the axle manufacturer's splash lubrication design.  

Banks videos below:

Take note of the potential issues with "larger capacity" covers. 

Do you have the stock stamped steel Diff Cover still on your truck?

Just looked at the most recent Banks video from Thoroughbred Diesel, Wow! Talk about bling, the cover is larger than your stock cover in order to utilize air scoops which is a disaster in the making, claiming to save fuel due to its weight to HP ratio. Well, what happens when this cover whacks something you run over and especially capturing mud and other debris when utilizing your Truck in its work environment? Bye bye Weight to Horse Power when scooping up mud and debris and how about losing it after you hit something on the road. Like I’ve been saying, nothing has come out of this other than just another marketing ploy on just another product looking for attention.

Btw, these covers are copies of oem specs so he can attempt to get contracts with automotive manufacturers, with no proof of anything other than talk. All his comparisons are done with stock Diff Covers which is what each and every Diff Cover manufacturer claim.

Good luck to all......

11 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Do you have the stock stamped steel Diff Cover still on your truck?

Its a lease so why would I change that? 

9 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Just looked at the most recent Banks video from Thoroughbred Diesel, Wow! Talk about bling, the cover is larger than your stock cover in order to utilize air scoops which is a disaster in the making, claiming to save fuel due to its weight to HP ratio. Well, what happens when this cover whacks something you run over and especially capturing mud and other debris when utilizing your Truck in its work environment? Bye bye Weight to Horse Power when scooping up mud and debris and how about losing it after you hit something on the road. Like I’ve been saying, nothing has come out of this other than just another marketing ploy on just another product looking for attention.

Btw, these covers are copies of oem specs so he can attempt to get contracts with automotive manufacturers, with no proof of anything other than talk. All his comparisons are done with stock Diff Covers which is what each and every Diff Cover manufacturer claim.

Good luck to all...... 

Agree to disagree.  I see engineering (banks) vs. designer items (ats, bd, G2, etc.).

Agree to disagree.  I see engineering (banks) vs. designer items (ats, bd, G2, etc.).

G2 has engineers building complete rear ends, Axles, gears etc from the ground up. Banks too is bling as well but brand new getting into Diff Covers and even he himself says he has no idea what’s going to happen or what to expect but one thing for sure, it’s stupid to make a Rear Diff Cover over hang lower with scoops which invites serious damage from road debris or off roading as well clogging from road debris that’ll add weight and require lots of maintenance keeping it free from debris. To me, poorly engineered for functionality.

I’ve driven through road construction and found caked on clay mud like concrete taking it off so you can imagine what would happen to that

To each their own but I’d rather buy and use a well built, built by a rear end manufacturer with tons of experience and know how versus someone wanting to get into Diff Cover sales. Question is, who’s going to be the Guinea Pig?

5 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

G2 has engineers building complete rear ends, Axles, gears etc from the ground up. Banks too is bling as well but brand new getting into Diff Covers and even he himself says he has no idea what’s going to happen or what to expect but one thing for sure, it’s stupid to make a Rear Diff Cover over hang lower with scoops which invites serious damage from road debris or off roading as well clogging from road debris that’ll add weight and require lots of maintenance keeping it free from debris. To me, poorly engineered for functionality.

I’ve driven through road construction and found caked on clay mud like concrete taking it off so you can imagine what would happen to that

To each their own but I’d rather buy and use a well built, built by a rear end manufacturer with tons of experience and know how versus someone wanting to get into Diff Cover sales. Question is, who’s going to be the Guinea Pig? 

Watching the flat cover with the plexi window says enough about those rear end manufacturers.  Lack of proper lubrication flow and overfilling of the axle and axle tubes.  So much for being axle experts.     

Edited by newdude

Watching the flat cover with the plexi window says enough about those rear end manufacturers.  Lack of proper lubrication flow and overfilling of the axle and axle tubes.  So much for being axle experts.      

Maybe so with the manufacturers he’s shown but not with G2.

I do hope he does come out with a better idea and as I hope the American ingenuity keeps growing. I’ll be the very first one to jump on it but not all Diff Covers are square internally. As a matter of fact, my G2 is nothing like the others.

2504a758be8859aa194b8e72709c3b3d.jpgde61b611486f817662ca1589d21961f8.jpg

Look very closely, both internal side walls and top and bottom are curved forcing fluid towards the center to flow naturally with the gears. His product doesn’t allow as much fluid capacity/volume which is the reason for it being closer up against the gears. G2 Diff Cover is way ahead of all the other manufacturers based on Banks presumption that the fluid needs to be manipulated towards the gears which is a no brainer, exactly what G2 has already engineered.