AAM finned differential cover

6 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

The aluminum bolt just keeps getting smaller every time I clamp something onto it and turn. The chisel idea did come to mind and I’ve actually got two more brand new G2 Covers in my garage for my (OCD) just in case moment lol so I’ve got spare parts Ha!

That's what I figured was happening to you. If you have a punch that goes to a point try that on it. Also try taking your hammer and give it a single sharp hit on the head of the bolt before you try to knock it off with the chisel point.

• Like 1

worst case is you drill it out, and either helicoil it or just put in larger threads in the cover and get a new, slightly larger plug to screw in

Nah, though would rather get it off without any damage to the Diff Cover itself, worst case would be popping it off and pulling out one of the two new in boxes I’ve got sitting on a shelf in the garage, worst case scenario [emoji6]

Only gripe I’ve got on my Diff Cover is of my doing, this is what happens when you screw up and turn an aluminum bolt the wrong direction (duh) then try extrusion methods that don’t work. Got any ideas or should I just jump into one of the two backups lol!

2bcb8b94be1a872ea159fb1cd76d1e1b.jpg

Yeah thats toast. You should just pass it off to me for wall art[emoji6] and throw on your new bling[emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

The aluminum bolt just keeps getting smaller every time I clamp something onto it and turn. The chisel idea did come to mind and I’ve actually got two more brand new G2 Covers in my garage for my (OCD) just in case moment lol so I’ve got spare parts Ha!

Get this kit.  It works great. My transmission pan bolt was rounded off and I got this kit and it took it right out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-BOLT-GRIP-5-Pack-Bolt-Extractor-Set/1000363541?store_code=1095&msclkid=3d7b38e731d9181889c7656e3082eda0&gclid=CJuNhsu85-QCFczSswodmzMIOQ&gclsrc=ds

• Like 1

Get this kit.  It works great. My transmission pan bolt was rounded off and I got this kit and it took it right out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-BOLT-GRIP-5-Pack-Bolt-Extractor-Set/1000363541?store_code=1095&msclkid=3d7b38e731d9181889c7656e3082eda0&gclid=CJuNhsu85-QCFczSswodmzMIOQ&gclsrc=ds

Willing to try it so I don’t spend so much time driving to get it fixed, thank you

12 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Willing to try it so I don’t spend so much time driving to get it fixed, thank you

The factory seriously torqued in the transmission drain plug on my 2002 and from what I understand it was normal since many others had the same problem.  I got this kit, well not this one but one from Craftsman and it worked great.  Took the rounded off drain bolt right out.  

• Like 1

The factory seriously torqued in the transmission drain plug on my 2002 and from what I understand it was normal since many others had the same problem.  I got this kit, well not this one but one from Craftsman and it worked great.  Took the rounded off drain bolt right out.  

Was your bolt Aluminum as well? I wouldn’t know about the bolt on the trans, I’d take it in for trans fluid change. I’ll definitely give it a shot as soon as I’ve got a moment

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Was your bolt Aluminum as well? I wouldn’t know about the bolt on the trans, I’d take it in for trans fluid change. I’ll definitely give it a shot as soon as I’ve got a moment

No the bolt was steel.  The thing is the way the bolt out works is that it will grab the bolt on several sides and use equal force to remove it unlike vise grips that just clamp on two sides.

• Like 1