AAM finned differential cover

Anyone on here use one of these aam 74030017 diff covers? They list up to 2014 for Silverado but not sure if something changed after that?

https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-AAM-Aluminum-Differential-Cover/dp/B01MS6Y5QD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=aam+74030017&qid=1569115866&sr=8-1

That appears to be made by an axle manufacturer, so it likely doesn't suffer from the problems Banks found with a bunch of other diff covers (fill port at wrong height, squared off protrusion around ring gear), but it's still basically just bling.  Fins to almost nothing because there's no air flow behind the axle.

The diff, as is, will work just fine with the stock cover.  Buy a product like this knowing the primary benefit of it, it that it's a shiny bit of metal for people to look at.

• Like 1

I watched the banks series, very interesting. This cover looks to be made like the stock cover but with some added features. AAM claims 45-60* cooler fluid with this cover, so that would be an added benefit. The New banks cover has huge gains in terms of fluid cooling but no love for the gas trucks, only available for the diesel trucks.

You guys drinking the Banks cool aid, it was a marketing ploy. Stamped steel doesn’t cool as well as aluminum and at the beginning of his videos he starts off being negative about ALL the manufacturers producing Diff Covers then magically he makes one that out performs companies that have been producing complete rear ends for many years.
He did these videos as a desire to get into something else especially due to the FACT his products are outdated and he needed to get back into the game, Marketing, that’s all it is. Air cooling fins have been around for over 100 years and these aftermarket Diff Covers completely blow away stock especially when comparing material, ease of servicing your own Diff cover and added capacity. To each their own. I’ve been running aftermarket Diff Covers for as far back as I can remember and NEVER have I ever had any issues, never.

Here’s my G2 Diff Cover on my 18 Sierra and I’ve actually got two more brand new ones still in the box for that just Incase moment I rupture one while off-roading, the durability is far superior to any stamped steel piece of junk too.

2f8e8537cc9bdea7112064fe81310cea.jpg

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

You guys drinking the Banks cool aid, it was a marketing ploy. Stamped steel doesn’t cool as well as aluminum......

Think you missed the point Gale was making TX. His product is about SHAPE. The flat back covers do not direct the oil to the front pinion bearings like a stock cover does. Does it matter? I don't know but the point was about shapes directing splash flow. Cooling, meh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Think you missed the point Gale was making TX. His product is about SHAPE. The flat back covers do not direct the oil to the front pinion bearings like a stock cover does. Does it matter? I don't know but the point was about shapes directing splash flow. Cooling, meh. 

I know, it’s just his way of getting into the Rear Diff Cover industry, his videos have proven nothing but has definitely created skeptics which was his initial intention. I’ve been around a great many people that used that exact same tactic and while yes, I’m sure there are crap manufacturers just building Diff Covers for the bling factor, I’d stick to a professional axle and rear end manufacturer thats built everything from the ground up and knows what works and doesn’t work. Personally, I don’t ever see someone with an aftermarket Rear Diff Cover being a skeptic, only those with stock Diff Covers and the reasons for being a skeptic would be a long one for especially those without one. The whole purpose for buying and installing an aftermarket Diff Cover is to better service and promote rear end longevity. Who wants to change their stock Diff Fluid being a huge messy pain in the ass when all you do is unscrew, drain, refill and be on your way. I do believe G2 is an outstanding Automotive Gears and Axle manufacturer and therefore put more trust in them then would I ever put in someone like Banks which caused me to get rid of two vehicles with low miles due to his performance packages nearly destroying two Ford Powerstrokes of mine as well as a few friends of mine.

But yes, I get it, it’s about the shape. I know of no one ever having issues and one of my buddies that keeps his vehicles forever has over 100k miles on his GMC 1500 with a G2 cover and with zero issues. There are sooooo many ways of looking at it, maybe it’s that fine GM craftsmanship lol or consistent fluid drain, who knows but bringing negative attention to something that works has Marketing written all over it.

• Like 1

I know, it’s just his way of getting into the Rear Diff Cover industry, his videos have proven nothing but has definitely created skeptics which was his initial intention. I’ve been around a great many people that used that exact same tactic and while yes, I’m sure there are crap manufacturers just building Diff Covers for the bling factor, I’d stick to a professional axle and rear end manufacturer thats built everything from the ground up and knows what works and doesn’t work. Personally, I don’t ever see someone with an aftermarket Rear Diff Cover being a skeptic, only those with stock Diff Covers and the reasons for being a skeptic would be a long one for especially those without one. The whole purpose for buying and installing an aftermarket Diff Cover is to better service and promote rear end longevity. Who wants to change their stock Diff Fluid being a huge messy pain in the ass when all you do is unscrew, drain, refill and be on your way. I do believe G2 is an outstanding Automotive Gears and Axle manufacturer and therefore put more trust is them then would I ever put in someone like Banks which caused me to get rid of two vehicles with low miles due to his performance packages nearly destroying two Ford Powerstrokes of mine as well as a few friends of mine.

But yes, I get it, it’s about the shape. I know of no one ever having issues and one of my buddies that keeps his vehicles forever has over 100k miles on his GMC 1500 with a G2 cover and with zero issues. There are sooooo many ways of looking at it, maybe it’s that fine GM craftsmanship lol or consistent fluid drain, who knows but bringing negative attention to something that works has Marketing written all over it.

WOW I have the opposite with banks. On our 88 7.3 ( non turbo) we put on a banks kit, and gear vendors overdrive. Traded in at 285K. My father never kept a truck that long, ever. A 2002 dodge. The six gun kit. He traded that off after 10 years. Lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

WOW I have the opposite with banks. On our 88 7.3 ( non turbo) we put on a banks kit, and gear vendors overdrive. Traded in at 285K. My father never kept a truck that long, ever. A 2002 dodge. The six gun kit. He traded that off after 10 years. Lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember, back in the days Banks was widely advertised throughout the 4x4 industry and I drank the cool aid too, back then. Used Banks Tune on my 06 Ram Cummins along with $2k plus worth of upgrades that were recommended by Banks as a package including intake, traded in the truck a few months old due to non stop overheating which started after the Banks products. My two Powerstrokes started the same overheating issues after the Banks Tune, unlucky? Not a chance, it’s a multi billion dollar industry, the aftermarket industry, find one that works for you and stick with it. As of today, I’m very happy with all my aftermarket add ons I did to my 18 Sierra and can honestly say that it’s been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned only second to my LandCruiser. I’d highly recommend G2 Axle company http://www.g2axle.com/

Excellent customer service and outstanding Made In America quality. Also recommend Amsoil 100% Synthetic Fluids and you’ll be good to go!

• Like 1

Only gripe I’ve got on my Diff Cover is of my doing, this is what happens when you screw up and turn an aluminum bolt the wrong direction (duh) then try extrusion methods that don’t work. Got any ideas or should I just jump into one of the two backups lol!

2bcb8b94be1a872ea159fb1cd76d1e1b.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I know, it’s just his way of getting into the Rear Diff Cover industry, his videos have proven nothing but has definitely created skeptics which was his initial intention. I’ve been around a great many people that used that exact same tactic and while yes, I’m sure there are crap manufacturers just building Diff Covers for the bling factor, I’d stick to a professional axle and rear end manufacturer thats built everything from the ground up and knows what works and doesn’t work. Personally, I don’t ever see someone with an aftermarket Rear Diff Cover being a skeptic, only those with stock Diff Covers and the reasons for being a skeptic would be a long one for especially those without one. The whole purpose for buying and installing an aftermarket Diff Cover is to better service and promote rear end longevity. Who wants to change their stock Diff Fluid being a huge messy pain in the ass when all you do is unscrew, drain, refill and be on your way. I do believe G2 is an outstanding Automotive Gears and Axle manufacturer and therefore put more trust is them then would I ever put in someone like Banks which caused me to get rid of two vehicles with low miles due to his performance packages nearly destroying two Ford Powerstrokes of mine as well as a few friends of mine.

What was the problem with the powerstroke and banks? 

I thought about getting the banks super scoop ram intake for my parents 2014 LML Duramax, but it’s a lot of $ for an intake that probably won’t make much of a difference without a tune. I’ve heard the LML is slightly starved for air with stock intake. 

Edited by 2018GMC

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

Only gripe I’ve got on my Diff Cover is of my doing, this is what happens when you screw up and turn an aluminum bolt the wrong direction (duh) then try extrusion methods that don’t work. Got any ideas or should I just jump into one of the two backups lol!

2bcb8b94be1a872ea159fb1cd76d1e1b.jpg

Can you get on it with a small pipe wrench maybe to clamp on it and crack it loose. If that doesn't work buy another plug since you will need it. To get the old one out try taking an air chisel hammer and put a ding in the bolt and hold it at an angle to try and hammer it off. Once you get it loose enough you will be able to back it out by hand and just put the new plug in after you get it out.

What was the problem with the powerstroke and banks? 

I thought about getting the banks super scoop ram intake for my parents 2014 LML Duramax, but it’s a lot of $ for an intake that probably won’t make much of a difference without a tune. I’ve head the LML is slightly starved for air with stock intake. 

Save your money, my 2016 LML needed nothing and kept it that way with exception of suspension mods, it was perfect.
  • Thanks 1

Can you get on it with a small pipe wrench maybe to clamp on it and crack it loose. If that doesn't work buy another plug since you will need it. To get the old one out try taking an air chisel hammer and put a ding in the bolt and hold it at an angle to try and hammer it off. Once you get it loose enough you will be able to back it out by hand and just put the new plug in after you get it out.

The aluminum bolt just keeps getting smaller every time I clamp something onto it and turn. The chisel idea did come to mind and I’ve actually got two more brand new G2 Covers in my garage for my (OCD) just in case moment lol so I’ve got spare parts Ha!
  • Like 1