6.2 Cold Start Misfires

I have been getting engine codes P0300 and P050D recently upon start up with my 2014 6.2. I've ruled out bad batches of gas, have tried a couple injector treatments with no fix.

I've read around and it seems 95% of the time it's a bad injector and the other 5% could be coolant getting into the cylinder via a bad head casting. I've hooked up my scanner and watched live misfire data for each cylinder on cold starts and driving around for a week now. In summary, seems cylinder 2 has anywhere for 100-200 misfires for the first 30 seconds of a cold start then drops to 0 and remains 0 or has 1 or 2 like the rest of them for the rest of the day. Warm starts do not seem to pose any issue.

I would think an injector problem would always be an injector problem and not just at cold start. Is this typically how they act when going bad? I am leaning toward possible coolant entry at this point with what the data has been showing. Anybody have thoughts?

Trying to decide if I should take to the dealer or replace #2 injector myself.

99% sure it will be an injector issue over the coolant issue. Its also a very high possibility that it will not just end up being one injector. If you do it yourself check the fuel for contaniments. My in tank fuel pump was deteriorating and putting contaminants into the fuel system, ruining injectors, and hi pressure fuel pump. Luckily my warranty paid for and entire new fuel system.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bad #2 injector, known issue with the K2xx trucks. I had one of mine go as well, same codes. Dealer replaced it with a new injector and it has been ever since then.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, JLaw297 said:

I have been getting engine codes P0300 and P050D recently upon start up with my 2014 6.2. I've ruled out bad batches of gas, have tried a couple injector treatments with no fix.

I've read around and it seems 95% of the time it's a bad injector and the other 5% could be coolant getting into the cylinder via a bad head casting. I've hooked up my scanner and watched live misfire data for each cylinder on cold starts and driving around for a week now. In summary, seems cylinder 2 has anywhere for 100-200 misfires for the first 30 seconds of a cold start then drops to 0 and remains 0 or has 1 or 2 like the rest of them for the rest of the day. Warm starts do not seem to pose any issue.

I would think an injector problem would always be an injector problem and not just at cold start. Is this typically how they act when going bad? I am leaning toward possible coolant entry at this point with what the data has been showing. Anybody have thoughts?

Trying to decide if I should take to the dealer or replace #2 injector myself.

How many miles have you got on that 2014?