Diesel delete on 20 year old truck legality

So, just for a minute let's ignore everyones personal feelings on the morality of deleting a diesel and talk about the law.

I understand new diesel engines have federal requirements for the DEF kit and all, but what about "antique" vehicles. I know that state to state when a vehicle reaches a certain age the requirements for them start to get loosened a bit. I'm curious if it would be federally legal to delete a diesel truck that is 20+ years of age. My understanding currently is that if it came with DEF from the factory then it must stay, but I'm unsure if that also applies to vehicles that are considered antiques. I honestly don't even know if there is such a designation at the federal level.

7 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

What would you delete on a 20 year old diesel?  EGR and what's the other thing.  Everything is legal until you're caught ?

More of a hypothetical, say I bought a 2008, which should have the DEF and all that, when it becomes 20 years old will I be able to legally delete it? I honestly don't know much about the federal rules here. 

From my understanding with the new EPA ruling that came around delete kits became federally illegal to sell, even for track only trucks. So the safest bet is to probably buy an 06 or older because they didn't come with that shit from the factory. 

• Like 1

More of a hypothetical, say I bought a 2008, which should have the DEF and all that, when it becomes 20 years old will I be able to legally delete it? I honestly don't know much about the federal rules here. 

From my understanding with the new EPA ruling that came around delete kits became federally illegal to sell, even for track only trucks. So the safest bet is to probably buy an 06 or older because they didn't come with that shit from the factory. 

Look for an older 7.3 Ford it’ll probably last as long as you want it to. My father’s 97 dodge diesel was bought just before he retired. Has about 150K on it drives like new. My mother daily drives a 2000 one ton 7.3. 180K miles. Hers has a few dings but otherwise like new. Nether are garage kept. I’d find a clean diesel prior to emissions if you want one to last decades fairly troubled free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Look for an older 7.3 Ford it’ll probably last as long as you want it to. My father’s 97 dodge diesel was bought just before he retired. Has about 150K on it drives like new. My mother daily drives a 2000 one ton 7.3. 180K miles. Hers has a few dings but otherwise like new. Nether are garage kept. I’d find a clean diesel prior to emissions if you want one to last decades fairly troubled free.

Yeah, thats prob what I'll have to do. I'm more partial to the GMs of that gen, well I guess GM in general. Although the 2nd/3rd gen super dutys with the extended cab are some pretty sexy trucks.

Yeah, thats prob what I'll have to do. I'm more partial to the GMs of that gen, well I guess GM in general. Although the 2nd/3rd gen super dutys with the extended cab are some pretty sexy trucks.

I don’t know too much about older GM diesels. We got burned by GMs first couple attempts at diesel. I’m the only one who bought GM trucks after 94 in my family and they were gas. In my business most people I dealt with had Fords and Rams. Very few were GM diesels. Mostly Fords. The 7.3s were indestructible. Early Ram- Cummings were. The Ram trucks themselves required a little more upkeep the Ford trucks not much.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I don’t know too much about older GM diesels. We got burned by GMs first couple attempts at diesel. I’m the only one who bought GM trucks after 94 in my family and they were gas. In my business most people I dealt with had Fords and Rams. Very few were GM diesels. Mostly Fords. The 7.3s were indestructible. Early Ram- Cummings were. The Ram trucks themselves required a little more upkeep the Ford trucks not much.

Thanks for the info man. I'm still quite a ways off from doing anything here. I want to build a garage/shop in the next few years in order to have a spot to work in the new england weather. I'd love to do a frame up rebuild on a previous gen diesel but the conversation on the EAP with diesels recently made me wonder on this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Penguin VII said:

DEF came out on GM/Ford diesels for 2011. The Ram Cummins didn't have to use it until 2013. 

There are plenty of areas that don't emissions test trucks over a certain GVWR and you can get away with deleting a brand-new diesel all day long. The problem is, the EPA is starting to go after the companies that manufacturer the delete tunes and equipment, fining them into bankruptcy. Pretty soon you aren't going to be able to delete anything because the tunes and components simply won't exist as these companies go under. 

• Like 1