2020 2500 HD Recall - Seatbelt Pretensioner Fire

Just received notification for this recall. I have the all weather flooring throughout so there’s no carpet exposed anywhere. I’m not getting in there urgently. Will get it done though.

GM Recall #:

N192270600

NHTSA #

19V814

Date Issued:

Nov 14, 2019

Recall Title:

Seatbelt Pretensioner Fire

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2019 – 2020 model-year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles and in certain 2020 model-year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 vehicles built with carpet floor covering (RPO B30). In certain crashes that cause the front seatbelt pretensioners to deploy, the exhaust from the deployed pretensioner may be diverted through an opening in the pretensioner bracket and ignite cotton fibers in the carpet floor near the B-pillar.

Safety Risk Description:

Following a crash that causes the seatbelt pretensioner to deploy, a fire may develop in the area near the B-pillar, which may increase the risk of injury.

Repair Description:

Dealers will install a feature that will close off the opening in the pretensioner bracket so that exhaust gasses vent away from carpet material as designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got this message a few days ago in the app on my phone. I went to the dealership that day to make an appointment to get it fixed. No parts available so it’s going to be a week or two before I can give up my truck for the day. I also got a notice that the diesel truck owners will be getting a different winter grill cover. The new one will have a hole for the front camera. I guess the engineers didn’t think that detail through thoroughly. I’m glad you gave more information on the seatbelt problem. I was afraid that they could cause a fire just driving it. I should be able to keep from crashing and setting them off.

• Like 1

Didn’t notice the grill cover doesn’t have a camera whole. Haven’t used it yet. Heading into the Eastern Sierras for the week but temps will only get down into the teens.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by the dealership today. They have the parts in for the fix. It’s a 1.5-2hr wait time for the repair. They were too busy and didn’t provide details on how they will fix it. Will have to go back.

Had mine done this week,. They had the truck 2 days but also changed a video module for reverse guideline alignment and troubleshot a rattle in the seat fan. They did not have parts for the fan, the new grill cover or the heatshield recall that popped up yesterday. 

Edited by sdelam