2009 C5500 Fuel Sending unit

Working on a 2009 GMC C5500 with a 6.6L. The fuel tank on this truck is underneath the driver's side door/step. We've been searching for a replacement fuel sending unit with no luck. The GM number is 19168835 and the ACDelco number is MU1658, and have been discontinued through GM with no info as to what another option is. We're striking out through aftermarket, and short of trying to adapt something "universal", we're at a dead end. If anyone has had to replace one of these or has any insight on where we could find one, that would be much appreciated.

The firm I have been buying from since 1971 is : Isspro.com  I had a custom diesel fuel / hyd oil tank built for my new 2002 GMC  T-75000  cabover  ..... It came off the assy. line @ the Janesville plant with only an 8 gal. plastic tank , many fuel stops between plant  &  Aluma Tank @ the  Wis / Ill border . .... They built the tank , sending unit & polished it while I watched & learned .....  call with any ??????   Tom Menzel @ (208) 750-8081

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have found a solution for obsolete fuel sending units for  rear auxiliary fuel tanks for GMC and Chevy Kodiacs from 2003 -2009.   Spectra Premium Part# FG122A or Dorman Part# 692-213 along with NAPA Echlin Harness part number EC113 will solve your problem.  Just use the center wires of the new connector to connect your sending unit.  The FG122A will fit exactly like the old one.  This works for MU1580 GM 19122428.   It looks a bit different, but it will bold right in.  There is a guy who sells a kit on Ebay for $315.00.  You can buy the Spectra or Dorman unit for less that $100 and the NAPA Echlin harness for less than $20.  That means you can fix your problem for less than $120 instead of overpaying $315 for the same product on Ebay.

I know it works because I just had it installed in my Auxiliary tank and it works perfectly!

Hope this helps everyone with an older Kodiak!

• 8 months later...

Due to corrosion from winter Connecticut road salt ... I Substituted GM 19426295... has 1/2 & 3/8 supply and return... But no vent port .. as it's a c4500 duramax diesel  camper unit... with no pump in the unit .

You'll have to tap a vent on the housing plate or on the very top of the tank bell ..use an 1/8 npt  threaded fitting with a short rubber line ..run to an area under the cab protected from elements...put screen filter on the end ..like a lawn mower filter.

Edited by Icefighters snow services
Additional info

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 8:00 AM, alexhcmts said:

Working on a 2009 GMC C5500 with a 6.6L. The fuel tank on this truck is underneath the driver's side door/step. We've been searching for a replacement fuel sending unit with no luck. The GM number is 19168835 and the ACDelco number is MU1658, and have been discontinued through GM with no info as to what another option is. We're striking out through aftermarket, and short of trying to adapt something "universal", we're at a dead end. If anyone has had to replace one of these or has any insight on where we could find one, that would be much appreciated.

What did you end up using for the 2009 C5500? The part number that I'm seeing is ACDelco 88967304 for the sending unit and 19426295 (supersedes 19122423) for the assembly.

Edited by 9mmkungfu