Reroute the trailer camera feed to the rearview mirror

I'm seriously considering to upgrade our 2016 2500 Denali to the 2020 model. I was told by the dealership that the "smart" rear view mirror can only display the feed from the bed truck camera - as I will have a cap that's not much use.

Ideally I would live to have it display the trailer camera feed instead - in fact I believe it would be much better than having it on main screen which I'd rather use for nav. In fact, invisible trailer looks cool but not very practical as it takes over the whole display and you'd need it on pretty much all the time whole trailering. 

The software may not allow it (dang, why?) but I can't see much harm in switching cables assuming it's possible...

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 12:28 AM, g.u. said:

I'm seriously considering to upgrade our 2016 2500 Denali to the 2020 model. I was told by the dealership that the "smart" rear view mirror can only display the feed from the bed truck camera - as I will have a cap that's not much use.

Ideally I would live to have it display the trailer camera feed instead - in fact I believe it would be much better than having it on main screen which I'd rather use for nav. In fact, invisible trailer looks cool but not very practical as it takes over the whole display and you'd need it on pretty much all the time whole trailering. 

The software may not allow it (dang, why?) but I can't see much harm in switching cables assuming it's possible...

Keep us updated if you find a method to swap out the displays. I wonder if you can find an extension for your bed truck cam so you still have use of all cams and mount it at the rear of your cap...

Many of us are in the same predicament (or similar). If you search around on this forum, you'll find that it's just not possible (easily) as things are now.

Specifically, the camera on the back of the cab, near the center brake light, is wired to arrive at the rearview mirror camera input. So literally, the rearview mirror has access to only this one camera.

To make matters worse, the "wing" on the back of the cab that houses the camera is only removable by taking out the interior headlight. Yep, that's right, gotta pull the headliner because access to the wing is under it.

I'd love to move that camera to my camper and use my rearview as intended. Unfortunately I'll either have to risk taking the headliner off myself, or pay an upholstery shop to do it for me. I'll also need a longer cable for that camera, and some sort of housing.

There is a complaint lodged by GM owners of campers and truck toppers for this very issue.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/new-gm-trucks-getting-bed-cap-related-complaints/

BTW I was also told by the dealership that I could do this - but it doesn't seem to be possible.

Maybe pin down your dealer and make them show you how it works on a truck on the lot.

You'd be the most popular guy on here :)